Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 10-01-2012, 09:08 PM

Default Afternoon Trip 10/1

We rarely have an afternoon trip, but todays charter was'nt scheduled to leave the dock until 1pm. Hey I like this, I get to sleep in.
I had all the tackle ready and we slipped out to calm conditions and headed south to the eastern shore side of the bay. The water was so calm, we could see bait everywhere. We kept a close eye on both the fishfinder and on the horizon looking for birds.

Birds were flying but not concentrated in any area. We dropped lines on some nice marks near the CP bouy. We picked up some nice blues, but never had more than two rods go down at once. The fish were here, but they were not concentrated either.

The party had fun seeing the air tactics of the blues. They were going in the box fairly steadily, but certainly no blitz.

We continued south and ran into a better group of blues and rock. The blues would hit both of Capt Johns spoons on a single spreader and actually take drag. Blues were 20-23 inches. Two 23 in blues give quite a fight. The rock (20-23 inches) were not as plentiful, but a nice distraction.

We never did see fish feeding, but we had enough interested in our gear to make it a good night. The rock turned on later (around 4:30 pm) and I bet they would have been even better closer to dark.

Again we ran my 7 rod spread (all spreader bars with CJ spoons). For those that have forgotten or didn't see my spread before, this is what's working for us on "Patent Pending". 6 oz out 14 bars: 6 oz out 12 bars / 10 oz out 10 bars: 10 oz out 8 bars / 16 oz out 6 bars / 20 oz out 5 bars: 20 oz out 5 bars.

We pick up most of our blues on the 6 and 10 oz spreaders, and the rock on the deeper 16 and 20 oz spreaders.

I'm typing with two fingers all taped up from one of the larger blues. He was going bezerk as I was trying to remove a lure, and his teeth just grazed my hand and when I looked down, I was bleeding like a stuck pig. I grabbed one of Capt Johns nice clean yellow specialty towels and made it look like a 70's tye dyed shirt.

We are headed out 6am Wed Morning with another charter. Guess I have to get up early that day.

5th (Marty)
Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 AM

I am sure that full moon sunday night didn't help either.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 PM

That darned full moon has down me wrong the last three times...I am almost at the point where its not even worth it for me to go at least a day or two before and a day or two after....

Old 10-03-2012, 07:48 AM

Marty the bloody hands will be one of the things most talked about by that party for years. They'll forget about the fish, or the fish will "get bigger" with each telling of the story....but they blood everywhere.....lol
Old 10-03-2012, 04:37 PM

That wound was still bleeding this morning whenever I used the finger. It was bleeding through the bandaid.

I finally taped it up tight, put gloves on for todays charter, and it is finally stopped bleeding. He cut me good.

Marty
Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 PM

Damn Marty,

Be careful around those darn blues. Ed has a story about a relative of his who had to take a trip to the ER after a blue came off the hook and cut this person all the way down his leg. I forget the number of stitches, but left one hell of a scar.

Sounds like a fun trip from being able to sleep in, to the blues and finishing off the night with rockfish and making tie dyed shirts.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 AM

Thanks Phil; I was starting to think a stich might help me too. He got me in one of those areas where you keep flexing the finger and opening the wound every time you use it.
I threw everything at it to make it heal. When I got home, I washed it well, of course it bled, I poured peroxide on it, dryed it then put an antibacterial ointment on it and taped it up.
It looks good today. All day use yesterday had it open again.

Because I worked in the Mycobacteria Lab for 32 years, I know the possibility of infection (even Myco infection) is possible with this type of laceration.

Gloves are a pain, espescially when it's warm outside (yesterday was 80+*). But, sometimes you need to protect yourself.

I need to buy a pair of those "FishOff" gloves this fall.

I tacked yesterdays charter trip info onto Charlie's post for anyone interested.
5th (Marty)
Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 AM

Love those fish off gloves and you've seen they are normally stuck above my live well so they are always in easy reach, problem is most people never use them. Keep an eye on that finger.