Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2013, 05:04 PM

Default Help Cheap Reels

All,

I want to buy some cheap trolling reels for boat rods (tandems/parachutes/spreaders), dipsey rods (for dispseys lol), and reels for #1 and #2 SeaKing planers....

What are you thoughts on sub 75.00ish trolling reels ? Some examples would be:

> Shimano Triton
> Penn 209/309
> Bass Pro Offshore Angler
> Cabella DepthMaster II
> Daiwa Accudepth

or others that I might be missing...Don't need anything special, not trying to land anything over 50 pounds more likely the fish I will be bring in will be no more than 20 to 30 pounds tops....

Thanks in advance for taking the time to comment....

Mike
Old 01-07-2013, 06:06 PM

If you are not in a rush - often you can find good used reels at the upcoming fishing flea markets.

Key is to get there early as best deals go in first hour or so.

Often there are Penn 113's , 309 , 330's , etc. The older reels are built better then some newer ones.

IMHO - never pays off buying anything cheap for fishing. It does not last - then you are buying it again.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:28 PM

Mike; I am SLOWLY converting all my Penn 309 rods over to Penn 330's (the older usa modles if possible). While my 309's work ok on board lines; the 330's and larger are sooo much nicer to crank in a nice fish. The strain from divers is a lot for a 309.
Watch ebay and flea markets. Unfortunately, I have picked up several from older friends who don't fish anymore, or who have passed away. Not the best way to pick up reels, but at least they are being used and I think of my old buddies when I catch a fish on their reel.
5th (Marty)

p.s. 309's are great for ltt with your rattle traps.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 PM

Default "Should have posted yesterday"

Mike,
I just sold 4 (brand new) Okuma Convector CV45L's with 30# hi-vis line on them yesterday for $50 each!! My local tackle shop said they are good reels for the money. He sells them for $80 and I saw them on eBay for about $65. 4:1 gear ratio and hold 330 yards of 30# line. They have a nice power handle for big fish too. I have never used them but might be worth looking into....
Sorry I "gave these away" these 1 day too early I sold them because I just wanted the rods they were on because they matched my other rods. It's crazy how much we spend to make it at least LOOK like we know what we are doing!!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:07 PM

Jeff; if you had brought them tomorrow night to the meeting; you could have sold them.

I know it's a long way, but I hope you can make it.

5th (Marty)
Old 01-07-2013, 07:19 PM

I'm trying but still not sure if I can make it. Trying to ditch on a work dinner. Plus, since I'd be coming all the way from Chestertown (after work), it sounds like I would DEFINITELY get stuck with the bill . Actually, the speeding ticket might be cheaper....
Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 PM

Damn a day too early...Would be great to meet up with you tomorrow night if at all possible...

Going to hit the markets, just getting opinions on the other reels for now...

Figured the 330's would be the best way to go....

Hell Marty the 309's are overkill for the Rattle's....I use Shimano Symetre's on Ugly Sticks for that...Makes it a hell of a lot more fun the using a 309 and a broom stick....
Old 01-07-2013, 08:00 PM

I have a couple small okuma reels on "whippy" broomsticks that I used in conjuction with small ambassadore's on ugly sticks to troll over the "Belvadere Schoal's" area. Fun to catch 22-25 inch fish with.

But anything you plan to use deep planers with, should be 330's or bigger.
Marty
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
All,

I want to buy some cheap trolling reels for boat rods (tandems/parachutes/spreaders), dipsey rods (for dispseys lol), and reels for #1 and #2 SeaKing planers....
For the price its hard to beat Okuma. When I got back on the bay trolling about 5 years ago, I loaded up on some Okuma combos from my local tackle shop for $95. Still use them and they have pulled everything including #3 planers, 32oz. mojos, big umbrellas, etc....but they have yet to pull in any big fish. Still look great and work great. I believe they are the sea demon model. I also have some Okuma Convectors, 45s and 55s which are really nice but probably above $75. With all the shows coming up, I'm sure you will find something