Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 11-26-2014, 01:00 PM

Default dad catches 88 fish to match his age

My father turned 88 on Sunday and wanted to go fishing as a gift - sorta inside joke since we love to fish together. Left house at 8:30 since Ravens game ended late and no need to rush this time of year. The predicted light winds were blowing the tress around - Hmmm , might be choppy but no worries.

Got to Sandy Point about 9:00 and launched on high tide. North west breeze felt around 10-15 but it was calm near shore until we got out near channel. Slowed in the deeper water and used meter to look for fish. Motored around at 10-12 knots but never saw too much to stop over. Saw boats at rockpile but no one seemed to be catching.

No one home at some deep water spots I like - big old boulders in 50-60 feet I found getting an anchor back for a charterboat once.

Ran back to bridge and set up in deep water to try for Perch. Had a few taps but no hook ups when fellow TFer called. He was trolling but saw fish near bottom in 50 feet. Took gamble and ran south until we found him.

Meter showed a lot of fish so we drifted and used gold Sting Silver. The single hook has a chartreuse feather ( Marty's and Anglers ).

Dad jigged while I watched meter - soon he reeled up what I thought was there - small Rockfish.

We drifted a few passes but none were keepers. Meter did show other fish mixed in so we anchored and used bloodworms to see if hunch was correct. Soon dad had the answer - nice size White Perch.

The heck with Rockfish - when double header 10-12 inch Perch were there. Outgoing current was really strong so we put on 2 oz sinkers to get bottom quickly. School of Perch was right under the boat and we started to put some into cooler.

Few small Rock were mixed in - these were gently released to get bigger. Few boats trolled near us but only saw one mid 20 inch Rock landed. Wind dropped out and it was near flat.

Dad was having a blast - he kept me busy unhooking fish and baiting his hook. We laughed because when I was 5-6 - he did same for me. I went back to Sting Silver hoping for keeper Rock but no luck other then some Perch. As I unhooked another double header - dad said that was number 60. I really was not paying attention but sounded about right - he had been counting each fish he caught.

Just to be a wise a$$ - I said make it 88 to match your age. Well , 28 fish later - dad said he was done and getting a long overdue sandwich.

We pulled anchor and put over just three trolling rods with heavy in lines and trolled slowly along channel edge. Bay was smooth and we could not believe snow was predicted to be falling by morning.

We trolled for about an hour but it was more / less slack current so we gave up and ran back to the ramp , getting there about 4:00. Dad commented it was a great birthday pres
Old 11-26-2014, 06:00 PM

Awesome gift!! And Happy Birthday to Dad! I saw you pulling out of service road as I was headed to Owings Mills. I was jealous!

Old 11-27-2014, 06:46 AM

Great day Skip. I do miss the trips with my dad.

bhl (Bruce)
Old 11-28-2014, 08:47 AM

What a great story, and a great perch dinner too.