Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 09-09-2016, 12:17 AM

Default Poplar & Tiglman

As of 9/8/2016: anything happening around the Hook, Old Gas, Sharps Is. Light, etc. this week other than the dinks of late?
Old 09-09-2016, 08:24 AM

Fished that area twice in the last couple of weeks for about 2.5 hours each. Caught only really small stripers. No BLUEFISH at all!
Old 09-09-2016, 11:39 AM

No blues...thank goodness!!
People say they can cook them up and they taste good. I say, you can't polish a turd!
I'm giving it a go this afternoon and Sunday.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:00 PM

That's because you don't know how to clean/cook them.
Filet, skin and cut the blood line out. Soak the filets in heavily salted ice water for about an hour (adding more ice as necessary). This pulls the oil out and whitens/firms the meat. Rinse, dry and dredge in an egg wash, coat with Italian bread crumbs and fry in oil (either pan fry or deep fry). They are also very good smoked or slightly poached and made into fish cakes.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
That's because you don't know how to clean/cook them..
Mikie is right, however we do it another way.

I never cared for the taste of bluefish. I did all sorts of things, even kept them in milk overnight in the refrigerator. Nothing worked Even if they didn't taste too bad, they were still a soft fish. I prefer a firm fish filet.

Then we ate some fresh from a charter off Capt. John's boat (Patent Pending). He filets them and tilts the knife up slightly to leave about an 1/8 of an inch on the skin (no red meat on filet side). Then he dips them in batter and Panko crumbs and deep fries them. They come out firm and tasting wonderful.

Of course what's not good when it's deep fried. Try it

I won't eat them any other way.
5th
Old 09-11-2016, 10:14 PM

Bud, I've bled them out, cut out the artery, filet them from bone and skin, etc.
I've fried, smoked, stuffed with backfin and grilled, battered with Autry...name it, I've done it. I simply don't care for blue at all.
However, I'm willing to give anything a go, 5th.
Back in the day when we were catching the big blues in the bay the silver dollar wasn't a bad piece of meat.

Did anyone brave the wind today (Sunday 9/11)?
I ran down to The Diamonds early only to be blown out by 11:00. It got snotty quick!
Hoped to luck into some Red Drum, but not much more than Dink's and small keepers.
Ended up chasing birds in the Hook for a good while...lots of fun catching dinks with a bait caster.
Headed back towards KI around 1300, hitting a few pecks of birds along the way across Eastern Bay.

Last edited by No Bananas; 09-11-2016 at 10:33 PM.