Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 AM

Default Penn Squall 16VSW for Chesapeake Bay Rockfish?

Hi All,

It just so happens, my most reliable fishing buddy these days is my 10 year-old daughter. She's been fishing aboard my boat more than anyone else (18 times the past two seasons). The only trips she has missed were the ones I told her she couldn't go (grownups only)... She loves to fish and always asks to go.

Anyway, she catches perch and smaller Stripers pretty well - but the few times she's hooked bigger fish, she couldn't reel them up.

So, I wanna' buy her a two-speed reel for this upcoming Trophy Rockfish season. I figure she should be able to crank away in the lower gear. But I've never owned a two-speed before. The Penn Defiance and Senators I currently use are 40. The Penn Squall 2-Speed 30 looks enormous in photos (but I've never held one in my hand). I'm thinking the 30VSW will be too big for her little hands. So maybe the 16VSW would be a better choice..?

Do any of you use them for trolling Stripers in the Chesapeake (uh, I mean Rockfish). How large is it? Any comparison photos of either size would be great - I'm looking to make an Internet order ASAP.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-05-2014, 02:55 PM

I believe it is of a comparable size to the Penn International 16 class reels. Which is to say it's a still a pretty large reel. Were I going to spend that kind of dough, I would get an Avet MX two speed (like here the 6/4 version: http://www.meltontackle.com/products/avet-mx-reels.html). It's a smaller and lighter reel that fits in the palm of your hand with plenty of drag capacity for any rockfish you'll catch. Load it up with 50 lb braid and she'll be good to go. FWIW, my guess is part of her problem may be fighting larger rods/reels as much as the fish. If so, two speeds may not be necessary, in which case the less expensive regular MX reel would be fine.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:46 PM

I have Avet sx's and Jx. The sx has plenty of power to handle the trophy fish and is a small reel that will fit in a child's hand well. Mine is the most used reel I have, flounder, live lining, trolling, bottom fishing... It is available in a two speed, but not sure if it's necessary. She will probably just use the low gear to pull in a trophy fish. Not sure a fast gear will have much use.