Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2014, 05:40 PM

Default Another Expensive Spring!

Well, I finally got to finish up my Spring Maintenance and tune-up. I changed my plugs and I think the old ones looked great. Of course, they only had about 50 hours on them. I hardly used my boat last year.

But unfortunately, when I pulled my lower unit plug... The first 1/4 cup came out as clear water...

I let it drain for an hour while I cleaned and polished other stuff. Then filled it with new HP SAE 90 by Qucksilver. I took a photo of the debris that was attached to the magnetic plug.

So, here's my dilemma. I know I need to have the seals replaced. But I'm thinking, the boat is going fishing a time or two while I shop for A) a new lower unit, then I can rebuild this one and have a spare, or B) a good mechanic that can fix this one (without me dropping off my boat for a month) like a did two seasons ago for carb work.

I'd really appreciate any advice from the knowledgeable guys on CBAngler. Can anyone recommend a good mobile tech that can do this work in my driveway? Should I NOT take the boat fishing a time or two before fixing this?

* The way I see it, the lower unit has fresh new oil - so it's in better operating condition today than it was last December when I took it for the last time. Take a look at the drain plug photo. Is that "terrible" or "not too bad?"

Oh - it's a 1994 Yamaha VX-76 225hp in Pasadena, MD (Anne Arundel County).

Thanks guys,

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled-7.jpg (86.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg untitled-2.jpg (86.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-12-2014, 06:29 PM

A small amount of " hair " on the magnet is normal. If you can - shift into / out of gear sharply to avoid grinding.

Hopefully you used new gaskets on the drain / fill plugs. These are designed to be used once and can leak if reused. I've seen these let lube out - water in.

I'd pull the prop and look for line - this often is source for leaking seal. If none is found - run boat one trip , then pull drain plug and look at lube.

If water is getting in - often lube turns whitish color. If it gets in on one trip - no choice but to have seals replaced.

My only concern is if that water caused any damage during freezing weather. Since water came out - good news it could not easily get out - as if lower had major leak.

Too late now but one reason to change lower lube after last trip in fall / early winter.

Not sure where you are at but Larry at South Shore marine in Severna Park likely can put new seals in. New lower is $$$$.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:38 PM

I agree with Skip, a small amount of metal attached to the magnet is normal. Both of my lower units let in some water. When I check them, the first bit of fluid that comes out is a white color, but quickly returns to solid green. Due to the water intrusion, I've been using the HP gear lube for about two seasons and so far so good. I plan on pulling the lower units off this spring when I do the thermostats and getting the lower unit pressure tested.

I use Larry's brother, Denny at South Shore Tackle and Service on Mountain Road, behind Prince's Tire. He's not necessarily a mobile service but he will work with you. He has actually come to my house and pulled my lower units off and taken them back to his shop to service them. If you do need a new lower unit, SEI, is making them for practically cheaper than they can be rebuilt. Again, check with Denny. He installed one for me about 4 or 5 years ago and no problems. Prior to that I had one rebuilt by a mobile guy. It blew up about 30 days later. Denny pulled it apart and found that the pinon nut(I think) was not installed and torqued properly, so it backed out while doing 40 mph across the bay.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:27 PM

I know of more than one person who has had terrible results with SEI..

Just do not want you to waste your money.

Email if you want more info...

Jimmy