Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 09-23-2016, 05:09 PM

Default Pretty day Friday 9/23

That doesn't sound like a good fishing report; does it? I knew winds were going to be light today, so I had to run the boat looking for some keeper rockfish.
I left the slip with Lou at 6:30am anticipating an early bite. The area around the weather buoy on the Patapsco has been holding some legal fish (just legal) lately. It was a place to start close to home
Birds were flying, but not active. Looked like something was going to break loose any moment. I dropped over 5 rods with planers and drone spoons to mimic the silversides we have been seeing as bait. Caught a few shorts, then a legal 22 inched
A few more shorts, and one just 20 inches (legal but worrisome enough to release).
The birds got together and we pulled trolling rods and ran with jigging rods to find lots of dinks under birds. Played with them for a while and said, Let's go find better fish.
Ran to the mouth of the Chester and saw a charter set up chunking. Dropped some rods nearby and trolled the edge of some drop-offs and found great marks.
"Watch your rods", I told lou. We were "covered up" with all 5 rods. Small rock and nice blues I don't usually keep blues, but they were so fat and healthy looking, we put 6 in the box. We did get one more 20 inch rock that went back
We had non stop action every time I crossed that school, but it was obvious that there weren't enough keeper rock to make setting and resetting lines worthwhile.

Birds and breaking fish were everywhere, so the jigging sticks got a fair amount of action (for my boat; ha, ha). But dinks ruled the day under birds.

There were a large number of Judge's out today. Bruce, Jason, Greg, Lolo, Jim (Lolo's old 27), Bill (another 27 on Bodkin Creek), and I were all looking today.

Sounds like Greg (who was livelinning) was the only one to find nice rockfish.

I ran for home and filled the tank ($136 for a half tank - 48 gallons)

But now I'm ready for another round of "Hide and Seek" with these fish.

Lolo had the right idea. He fished a couple of hours and then headed to Pussers for drinks. Maybe I should have gone to Mike's North and drowned my sorrows too

Cooler weather next week
5th
Old 09-23-2016, 08:29 PM

Wish I would have known you were out today.

Above the bridge was bare...headed south and ended up in a mess of trout, blues, and rock...some worth keeping, most not but a lot of fun. Most of the action was at the mouth of the severn along the channel.

Scott and I had a rare day to be out and rounded out the day with some Menhaden and white perch as well.

Heading out with my oldest in Sunday and hoping for more of the same.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:51 AM

We stayed in upper bay around the Brewerton and Eastern Shore channel area.
Tried trolling but just got covered up with grass. Pulled rods and got the jigging sticks out and found the birds. Dinks were everywhere. After 2 hours of chasing birds with no keepers my friends wanted to go perching. We found a hump on the eastern shore side loaded with perch, spot and around 10 trout up to 13". Great day with friends and they took home 30 of the largest perch.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 09-24-2016, 08:06 PM

I ran all the way down and around poplar island looking for birds and checked some shallow water fishing locations along the way hoping for some top water... Nada No birds or anything. The incoming was so weak that the ships stayed every which way in the main stem of the bay. Had I left the dock before 11am I likely would have taken the skunk/

However given our late start we stayed until the current started to ebb and had a bit of a hot bite live lining. We hooked 8 or 9 fish very quickly. Two were over 30". We broke off another over 30" and released lip hooked fish until we got a limit. Spot were getting hammered by small fish but a gentle lift to keep it going and a brief wait resulted in a hook up on almost every drop.

In other words... zero fish on the flood... nice bite on the ebb.

Oh yeah we did catch a number of weakfish while spot fishing too