Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2020, 11:20 AM

Default Corona Virus

I guess I should be quaking in my boots. I'm in the "dangerous" category for the virus. I'm 68 yrs old (April 4th), and just finished radiation treatments for prostate cancer.
Why am I not fearing the future?

My personality is, I'm the guy that when it snows a couple of feet, the news says to STAY HOME and leave the streets open for emergency vehicles.

BUT, I can't wait to shovel/snow blow out the driveway and get out on the streets in 4x4 mode to help cars stuck in the snow, or run errands for family members who need items

Now, I am taking some precautions The gov't has shut down restaurants, church, movies, and such; so I can't get around too many people.

I'm still fishing, catching these sea monsters, and golfing.

What's wrong with us? Not quarantined and worried!

My biggest concern is that my schedualed golf outing tomorrow will be canceled if the course shuts down

If I die of Corona Virus, put something comical on my headstone!!
5th (Marty)
Old 03-17-2020, 12:05 PM

Need your help
My wife is a Sunday school teacher, however, church is closed down for two weeks. She is trying to think of some things she can do with the kids "outside" on church grounds to keep them occupied (regular school is closed).

In keeping with "social distancing", I'm trying to come up with some activities we played as kids where they don't need to be in close proximity with each other.

All of my suggestions have been rejected so far:
1) Spread the kids out and throw stones at each other !! We did this all the time. I was going to suggest slingshots, but building a bunch of slingshots made me rethink this idea.

2) Lawn Darts, don't throw at that crappy houla hoop target. We made everyone stand like statues, throw the dart in the air and try to come the closest to another player. If you moved, you were out.

3) Build a bicycle ramp and learn how to jump your two wheeler over a kid lying on the other side of the ramp. Most of the time, this kid was a younger brother of one of the kids riding their bike. The younger brother always wanted to "play" with the big kids, so we let him

4) I'm having a hard time finding supplies for this one Take a metal roller skate and pull it apart. Place a piece of 2x4 between them and nail the front and back rollers to the board. Attach a wooden soda pop crate to another 2x4 leading up to a handle so you could hold on while racing down "dead man's curve" at breakneck speed. Steering was done by "leaning" to one side or the other, but don't lean too far

I offered to make this even more safe than when we did this as kids. I would have one mother with a "safety kit" standing by with mecherechrome and iodine. We would also have a pair of tweezers to pick gravel out of knees and elbows. We could even take the extra step of antibiotic ointment and bandages to wrap injuries.

Do you have any suggestions for "games" we can play that don't involve a computer? List them below.
5th
Old 03-18-2020, 05:42 AM

I don't have anything comical to add (Although I'm partial to your #3) but right now nature is in full ass whooping mode with her sights and sounds. Patapsco Valley would be a great place to spend a day. I still love hiking up on the train tracks, going through the Ilchester tunnel and having lunch on the other side by the bridge. Kids will LOVE when a train thunders by.

Then there's the practical stuff......teaching kids how to do laundry, manage a bank account (online now of course), use basic tools. I suppose a good teacher could make a game out of any of these kinds of things.

Of course NONE of this solves the problem of being outside on church grounds...except maybe some learning about nature. Maybe a scavenger hunt would be fun?

I'd vote for a good old fashion dodgeball game. Nothing brings you close to Jesus like getting smashed in the face with a big rubber ball travelling 35mph.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:44 AM

Oh and I'm with you.......I guess I haven't felt the gravity of this thing yet.

Being a type 1 diabetic for more than 40 years, and just about to turn 50 years old in 9 days puts me in a more vulnerable bracket.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:37 AM

Hey Scott,
I thought about "dodge ball", but didn't want to offer up something as dangerous as that game
I can see cops being called because little Sally got hit with a big soft rubber ball

It's a wonder we (baby boomers) survived recess when I was in school. When we played "Red Rover, Red Rover, we dare Scott over"; your a$$ better be ready to take a hit if you tried to break through our chain

Of course most of our friends wore "crew cuts" and not "man buns"

5th
Old 03-18-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Hey Scott,
I thought about "dodge ball", but didn't want to offer up something as dangerous as that game
I can see cops being called because little Sally got hit with a big soft rubber ball

It's a wonder we (baby boomers) survived recess when I was in school. When we played "Red Rover, Red Rover, we dare Scott over"; your a$$ better be ready to take a hit if you tried to break through our chain

Of course most of our friends wore "crew cuts" and not "man buns"

5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sis.jpg (10.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-18-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post

No bike helmets, carried .22's around, and WTF were car seats? LOL. We used to ride around sitting on the tailgate of my mom's station wagon delivering newspapers.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:06 AM

Don’t forget playing army in the woods with BB guns, stings a little but never put anyone’s eye out! It’s been nice being away from the media while here in the Caymans where there is not one single case, but leaving today as the island closes down mid nite on Sunday so it stays with no cases!
Old 03-20-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako mike View Post
Don’t forget playing army in the woods with BB guns, stings a little but never put anyone’s eye out! It’s been nice being away from the media while here in the Caymans where there is not one single case, but leaving today as the island closes down mid nite on Sunday so it stays with no cases!
Sounds like paradise.

Yep, we had bb gun wars back in the phragmite filled marshes where we built forts out of pallets we took form the nearby trucking company.

The "new guy" always got the crappy bb gun of course.

Up until 2007 I was still playing paintball with a bunch of high school friends every other weekend. We had a few acres off of Hammonds Ferry Rd where we could play without any hassle. Then we'd walk across the street to Howard's for a late lunch and beers.

Still not a single confirmed case of the virus in Queen Anne's County as of early this afternoon. As of yesterday there was only one confirmed case on the eastern shore and that was in Talbot County.

I'm sure that will change with all of the DC commuters that live here.

Still planning on fishing Sunday though.