Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-30-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
Bruce,

How deep do you run your hoses ?

Any weight on them at all ?

If so in lines? How far away do you run the weight from the hose?

Friday night on the tide change at poddiclory my oldest son and I ended up with 6 all in the 20 to 22 range. Missed a couple on circle hooks. Chumming in 30 feet using cut men Haden drifting with the current.

Hope to get out the next two days and will let folks know how I do.

Anyone seen a hard head north of the bridge ?
We did well last year with #3 planers at 40 and 50 feet and #2 planers at around 70 and 80 feet back. If you use weights, drop sinkers on a 2 foot dropper off of the bottom of a 3 way swivel are the way to go. 32, 28,20 oz weights. Run the hose on a 20-25 ft leader with a good swivel in the middle. I think Marty ran hoses off of planer boards last year but I don't know how he ran them.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 05-30-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl View Post
We did well last year with #3 planers at 40 and 50 feet and #2 planers at around 70 and 80 feet back. If you use weights, drop sinkers on a 2 foot dropper off of the bottom of a 3 way swivel are the way to go. 32, 28,20 oz weights. Run the hose on a 20-25 ft leader with a good swivel in the middle. I think Marty ran hoses off of planer boards last year but I don't know how he ran them.
Mike; on my boat, I just ran 5 hoses. Fish were glued to the bottom. They were so tight, that I eliminated the 2 ft drop off the three way swivel and used a "double snap swivel" and attached it right to my terminal tackle snap swivel
This, in essence, gave me a three inch drop
I ran them with heavy sinkers, maybe a 12 oz ctr rod (over the motor). Two hip rods 24 and 28 oz. And two straight out the transom with 16 and 20 oz.

I looked for marks first (seems like 30-35 ft) and starting with my LIGHTEST sinker, I dropped until it hit bottom. I held the rod until it "settled" then dropped it again until it hit bottom, then set the drag. So I double dropped each rod bouncing bottom twice, then locked it in.
I figure I was no more than 3-5 ft off the bottom with each rod.

When Capt John asked me to mate for him last year, it was for a trip ABOVE the bridge (where all the fish were last year). He wasn't familiar with our area, and he had a party he really wanted to catch fish for.
I set out 17 lines (running planer boards); all hoses I had ten board rods (five off each side) and seven boat rods (because the charter boat has such a large beam).
I ran 8,10,12 oz inlines off boards; and rigged my boat rods like I told you above.

We had a ball; one of the best trips ever. When we got back to the dock, everyone grabbed a fish for a photo. We limited out, and John says they still talk about the trip.
Below is a photo of the fish we were caught (right around July 1st)
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1507.jpg (98.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-31-2016, 12:59 PM

Hoses don't work, don't waste your money on them! Particularly Red hoses. Should call them skunk bait!! .

I use 2 swivels in my leaders and down planers.