Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 01-08-2012, 04:12 PM

Default First trip of 2012 - PLO w pics

Since end of world is predicted 12 -12 -2012 - figured best to get in as much fishing as possible.

Saw a forecast that was tough to believe for January - 55* and light winds. Managed to wiggle out of work and decided to try off Smith Point. Fellow TFer Mark1234 went along. Now winter Rockfishing in the bay is always a gamble. For me - PLO is about 100 mile drive then another 12 miles or so in the boat.

If I called you and you could not make it - stop here , you'll hate not being there.

Hitching up the boat at 4:45 am - I could hardly believe how nice it was. We headed off on deserted roads - watching carefully for deer. Stopped about an hour into the long drive to top off boat and check the trailer bearings and lights - plus stretch the legs. Going over the very tall Solomons Island bridge - we were treated to an awesome sun rise and saw calm waters on the river. Finally got to Point Look Out at about 7:30 - no one else was there. Tide was very low - full moon coming Monday.

Got the boat launched and checked every thing twice before heading out. Water temps are low enough to kill in 20 minutes and we both knew help would never get there in time. Running SE towards Smith Point light - kept an eye on the fish finder but did not see any thing worth stopping. Few gannets were flying around - always good to see them. Just missed a crab pot float - guess it was a lost one. Bay was barren except for a south bound ship. Light breeze from south but no whitecaps. Continued south past the light at about 15 knots - eyeing finder as we zig zagged the channel edge. Furuno makes a good fish finder but nature has better ones , we stopped were 4-5 gannets were sitting over some bait. Not a huge pocket that tricks the bottom echo but enough to troll around.

Slowed to trolling speed and put out the boards. The boat can troll on one engine so I shut off the port. We had boards out and I checked the depth finder and saw 11.5 volts on the gauge . Not good , turned off radar and auto pilot but still same low reading. It should be 13 to 13.5 volts. This was not good to see. Checked the bilge pumps but none were running. Checked battery wires - everything looked clean and tight. Started the port engine and slowly volts came back up to 13.3. Turned off starboard engine and volts stayed up. One good thing with twin motors and three batteries - can limp around a problem. Not a good start but we decided to fish and started putting out the lines. Mixed in more tandems then singles but still had a few out from 2 to 6 ozs. Had four lines out when I dropped the line counter onto the deck. It landed hard and broke inside. We went back to counting bars and pulling off line by hand on the non level wind reels but I really missed knowing exact placement of the lures. Really hoped nothing else would go wrong. We had most lines out and when setting port down rigger - saw a fray in the cable. Day was just getting better and better. Took the wheel and started an east / west troll near the light. The strong incoming current had carried us far north while we set lines and dealt with problems. Turned VHF on and heard the winds were predicted to increase as day wore on. Oh boy , what next. Did I mention nothing on the meter ?

Turned due south and trolled the edge. GPS speed over ground was only 1.9 - incoming current was barreling up the bay. Slowly worked back to the bait mark area only to find it gone. Well , at least the weather was nice. Trolled east / west as current carried us back north. Saw a few gannets drifting around in various circles - they too looking for bait. Saw a few bait clumps deep and now / then a fish or two but nothing worth turning around for. Winds picked up and boat wallowed in the trough. A rod would shift in it's holder now / then due to waves and we both would jump at the noise. It was pushing 1:00 and I asked Mark if he had any ideas where to try. He shrugged his shoulders - we both knew few places have better odds then Smith Point. Put the bow into the chop and ate the last of my lunch. Gannets were flying faster and meter showed the bait higher up - near 20 feet deep. Out in 110 feet - we heard the Thunk , thunk , bump of a planer board rod dancing in it's holder and Mark took the rod. Fish pulled hard - squeaking off a few yards of line against a strong drag. I slowed boat and moved the WWWB rod out of the way

Wish I had video to show all those haters who claim trollers drag fish to the boat. This fish went in a long arc - up current - then swung deep under the boat. Mark had a good fight with this fish - I hoped hook held so we could see her. Once near the boat - fish took off as it got into prop wash. She swam out to side and finally gave up.

I grabbed her lip and put a hand under her belly to cradle her as I lifted her into the boat. Heard some one grunt from hoisting the weight - Mark said it was me. The fish was about 43 inches and very healthy and stout. Guess it was around 30 to 35 pounds - looked like a pound of sea lice on her.

Mark lifted her off the deck and set her free. I stood back - been doused with cold water from tail slaps more then once.

Fish hit a tandem 8 / 3 - it took the lighter lure , a chartreuse Spankin' Striper with green glitter 9 inch shad.

That fish made the trip - great way to start the 2012 season. I took the comb to straighten out the lure hair and the comb broke. Son of a bi*ch - luckily have two others. Noticed a rod on the other side had slack line and thought two clips were touching. Adjusted the line but still no good. Oh , oh - had a mess. With no line counter - got some thing wrong and had 4 lines on other side crossed. Best guess it happened as I slowed boat and current pushed them together. Mark helped me get the rods in and we had it almost clear when we saw the WWB rod get hit. This is a Steve F custom - nice light action rod. It carries a 4 oz Bloody Point white sparkle and a white Tony #21. Rod bowed but fish did not hook up. Honestly - I was glad because cockpit had 7 lures and 4 rods laying in it. The way the day had gone - that is all we needed. Well , it was one of those days and rod got hit right again but this time fish stayed hooked. Poor Mark had to move rods and lures while I got to reel in the fish. This one was pulling hard and slowly planing deeper as it came to the boat. Mark had his hands full leadering the fish but did a good job.

Got the nice 36 incher +/- and set her loose.

We reset the line and came up with a theory - fish might have hit the parachute - missed it - then grabbed the spoon. There was about 4-5 seconds between the hits and parachute hair was messed up. No way to prove it but seems likely.

We got the rods reset - this time being careful to stagger the lengths. Worked the area as wind laid down. Had another good hit off planer board but fish did not hook up. Broke a #64 rubber band - 99% sure it was a Rock. Saw a rod on other side bowing and had to snap the rubber band by setting the hook. Reeled in a menhadden - lure is close match to them.

Sun was getting lower and treated us to one cool sunset.

It was getting late so we slowly reeled in the rods - knowing it would be close over 3 hours before we got home. Got to ramp as sun dropped below horizon at about 5:00.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:48 PM

good day for BIG fish
Old 01-09-2012, 07:55 AM

Skip....what a great day!

Thanks for the great report. I appreciate the details about the lures. As I start to troll more and more I enjoy hearing about what people are using and seeing the actual lures so I know what I'm looking for by sight as much as by name.

Did you spend the night somewhere down there or make the trip all the way back home?
You must have been beat after a long day on the water like that.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:18 AM

What a nice day to be on the water and man that rod was bent and you put some nice fish over the rail, WTG Skip. Nothing like having cold water splashed in your face but it looks like it was worth it.
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com
Old 01-09-2012, 10:53 AM

Spot77 - I make it a long day trip.

Leave Severn at 5:00 am - it's about 100 miles. With 1-2 quick fuel / bearing check stops - about 2 and a half hours.

It's about the limit I'll do in a day - any farther and I'll stay over night.

I'll try to put up some photos of lures - if you are still putting a spread together , this weekend 14 /15th - Tyler's in Chesapeake Beach has a great sale.Added bonus for FREE - Capt. Wayne Morgan will help you select lures and provide rigging tips. He even has a hand out with exact line lengths / lure weights.

Then on March 19th - in Severna Park , Spankin' Stripers lure maker will be at the MSSA meeting with all his lures.

All Tackle and Marty's also sell good lures. The 3 oz Bloody Point sparkle in white can be deadly fished off boards on sunny days.

Marty's carries the Alien type 2 ozs - these work great.

Then there are the three flea markets - never know what lures show up there.

It pays to put an assortment out - some days the fish really prefer a head style or color / combo.

Crazy thing - next trip - the hot lure draws a bank .
Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 AM

Skip,

Great post...Wish I was out there...Fish looked great as well...So far it looks like 2012 is starting out to be an OK year for our striped friends...I am hoping the first 6 months of this year treat me like the last 6 months of last year....

Did the Menhaden hit the tandem ? I am guessing you were running the lures deep as well ?

Keep us land locked folks going with reports !

Mike
Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 PM

Mike - I had the water column covered from about 5 feet to 45 feet.

Bulk of the lures were in the 15 to 25 foot range.

It goes against common sense but often in winter near PLO - the board rods running 5 to 15 feet get most of the fish.

About 8 years ago in late December - my dad and I were trolling off Smith Point. I saw a swirl on top and told my dad it was a big rockfish. He told me I was seeing things.

At this time - every one trolled lures deep or very deep.

An hour later - I saw another swirl and caught sight of the fish. Reeled in a rod and rerigged a 13/0 Cripple Alewive - no weight. Sent it 250 feet back off the top.

Maybe 15 minutes later - it got crushed by a 42 incher. We got 4-5 more , all off that high rod.

Couple days later - I'm there with planer boards. Light snow falling but I still put them over.

VHF had some fun chatter - guys laughing at that Grady who thinks it's spring time.

We caught fish like no tomorrow - all but 2 off the boards.

VHF - That there Grady hooked up again - fish must like it's spring time too.

Now most guys run boards in winter.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:28 PM

I'll post more tomorrow because I'm beat right now, but I want to thank Greg (B-Faithful) for inviting me along today for the best Chesapeake Rockfish trip I've ever been on.

I know it was just an average day by his standards, but it was amazing by mine.

And Greg.....sorry about snoring so loudly on the ride home......I'm sure it was pretty scary.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 AM

I was a guest aboard Greg's boat for a launching out of PLO yesterday. I'll let Greg chime in with the details if he wants, but I had a great time hanging out and learning about the trolling gear, and catching a couple of fish was a nice bonus.

If you diodn't fish yesterday, you missed ONE HECK of a great day to be on the water. The water was almost mirror llike for most of the day. It was a little choppy early in the morning, and the for was thick. but as soon as the sun burned through it turned into a most excellent day for January.

So just to keep the winter blahs away, I'll post one pic to remind us that spring will be here before we know it!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scott and Greg 1-10-2011.jpg (73.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-11-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
It goes against common sense but often in winter near PLO - the board rods running 5 to 15 feet get most of the fish.

About 8 years ago in late December - my dad and I were trolling off Smith Point. I saw a swirl on top and told my dad it was a big rockfish. He told me I was seeing things.

At this time - every one trolled lures deep or very deep.

An hour later - I saw another swirl and caught sight of the fish. Reeled in a rod and rerigged a 13/0 Cripple Alewive - no weight. Sent it 250 feet back off the top.

Maybe 15 minutes later - it got crushed by a 42 incher. We got 4-5 more , all off that high rod.

Couple days later - I'm there with planer boards. Light snow falling but I still put them over.

VHF had some fun chatter - guys laughing at that Grady who thinks it's spring time.

We caught fish like no tomorrow - all but 2 off the boards.

VHF - That there Grady hooked up again - fish must like it's spring time too.

Now most guys run boards in winter.
Wow! Thanks for another tidbit of insight and education. Skip, you're always teaching me something. Thanks!

Don