Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 12-25-2014, 12:33 PM

I give you credit for trying and being understanding about running a " sick " person back.

99% of charters would consider that the end of a trip - from # 65 to ramp is decent run.

Got to love it when guys insist on bringing their own gear - then break off a fish .

Few more years of chartering and you'll understand why older captains talk to themselves , drink heavily , stare off at the moon and try to bite their own nose.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I give you credit for trying and being understanding about running a " sick " person back.

99% of charters would consider that the end of a trip - from # 65 to ramp is decent run.

Got to love it when guys insist on bringing their own gear - then break off a fish .

Few more years of chartering and you'll understand why older captains talk to themselves , drink heavily , stare off at the moon and try to bite their own nose.
OR; have a mate to deal with the customers If it was a good group, John was chatty, if they were a pain (either drunk adults or bored kids) I dealt with them
5th
Old 12-26-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
OR; have a mate to deal with the customers If it was a good group, John was chatty, if they were a pain (either drunk adults or bored kids) I dealt with them
5th
Retired people are very patient and are supposed to be good with kids and drunks

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 12-26-2014, 08:32 AM

I think Captain John's favorite passengers were kids (6-10 years old) who kept running in and out of the cabin and slamming the door

I think he ground his teeth down several inches on those days.

I didn't mind the kids so much. I would grab them and start games like tossing 9 inch shassy shads into a five gallon bucket from ten feet away. I'd get them into a little competition. What really aggravated me was the parents. They would sit back and watch the kids run around the boat, opening drawers and cabinets, and making a pain of themselves. It was as if they thought, "I paid for the boat for the next 6 hours, I own it".

I could never hire my boat out Even some of my friends wear tennis shoes with black soles
Which reminds me, I need to buy some more Mr Clean Magic Erasers:roll eyes:
5th
Old 12-26-2014, 08:53 AM

My crew was great that day. I was just frustrated between running in the fog, the lack of bite, and the difficulty locating even good marks. Plus I was frustrated with myself that I didnt stick to my own game plan of continuing to go south. Running back to the ramp after finding a bite was a bit frustrating but the guy didnt look good. He evidently had the flu with a fever all weekend.

I didnt discount the trip due to a lack of action, which I wasnt sure if I should have done. After all I ran A LOT more than I planned burning a lot of fuel, plus the nerve racking headache of running in the fog all day under radar (I do have very very good radar with MARPA). My one buddy who charters said I shouldnt have discounted given the effort as he has been to the Orioles games and they have been blown out before without getting a discount. It was just a disappointing trip after having such HUGE success after the last month plus down there. (it was easy fishing though.. Just follow the birds).

The parties I dont like are the ones more interested in drinking first, fishing second. I am trying to weed my way out of those groups. Most my parties at this point are repeats, especially in the summer live lining so most my parties are great. Heck I had one group who went with me 5x this year and another 4x. I bet around half went 2x this year with me.

My kid trips are mostly live lining. Let them catch the stuff out of spot and perch and watch them swim in the livewell while the parents go for rockfish. Seems to work well.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 12-26-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
My crew was great that day. I was just frustrated between running in the fog, the lack of bite, and the difficulty locating even good marks. Plus I was frustrated with myself that I didnt stick to my own game plan. Running back to the ramp after finding a bite was a bit frustrating but the guy didnt look good. He evidently had the flu with a fever all weekend.

The parties I dont like are the ones more interested in drinking first, fishing second. I am trying to weed my way out of those groups. Most my parties at this point are repeats, especially in the summer live lining so most my parties are great. Heck I had one group who went with me 5x this year and another 4x. I bet around half went 2x this year with me.

My kid trips are mostly live lining. Let them catch the stuff out of spot and perch and watch them swim in the livewell while the parents go for rockfish. Seems to work well.
That's awesome! Repeat customers are happy customers!! They are also more forgiving on your bad days because "well we nailed 'em last trip".
Being a boat without a mate, repeat customers also means people that at least have an idea of what the drill is = easier on the Capt/mate . I don't charter, but always try to have someone onboard that knows what's up, especially when running boards!! (God bless Margaret!!!)

Keep up the good work Greg! Actually I'm doing some math right now and I might sell everything and become a "semi-knowledgable" repeat customer for someone.... Any package deals for a guy and his wife that want to book every Sat and Sunday?? (I won't have to clean, paint, or maintain the boat though right???)

Old 12-26-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
I think Captain John's favorite passengers were kids (6-10 years old) who kept running in and out of the cabin and slamming the door

I think he ground his teeth down several inches on those days.

I didn't mind the kids so much. I would grab them and start games like tossing 9 inch shassy shads into a five gallon bucket from ten feet away. I'd get them into a little competition. What really aggravated me was the parents. They would sit back and watch the kids run around the boat, opening drawers and cabinets, and making a pain of themselves. It was as if they thought, "I paid for the boat for the next 6 hours, I own it".

I could never hire my boat out Even some of my friends wear tennis shoes with black soles
Which reminds me, I need to buy some more Mr Clean Magic Erasers:roll eyes:
5th
You should just keep 6 pairs of T.I.T.'s on board to give to your black soled friends

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 12-26-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl View Post
You should just keep 6 pairs of T.I.T.'s on board to give to your black soled friends
Great idea. I just bought some to keep on the boat. I hope my buddies like them
I bet they remember non-marking soles next time!
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-26-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
The parties I dont like are the ones more interested in drinking first, fishing second. I am trying to weed my way out of those groups.

Thats 2/3rds of our business. It all pays the same and the drunks tend to tip a little better ... send them our way