Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 08-11-2014, 09:38 PM

Default After the rain.....

With the WX forecasters calling for up 4 inches of rain, in some areas, any guesses on what it's going to do to the fishing and crabbing? Last year, crabbing shut down for the year, after a big rain, sure hope WX people are wrong, again...

Joe
Old 08-13-2014, 05:14 AM

I'm not sure what our totals were here in Chestertown but it sure did come down last night. Looking at some of the 11:00 news reports, I would think things are going to be screwed up for awhile. Sure hope I'm wrong. CCA Chestertown's first annual fishing tourney is this Saturday- Be there or be square!!

Sorry Marty, still 90% sure there is no "casting pool" at this event.
Shoreboy6....?

Old 08-13-2014, 12:14 PM

Default Health Warnings are Starting....

Anne Arundel County Department of Health
Recreational Water Quality Alert
Cox and Furnace Creeks in Glen Burnie Closed

August 13, 2014

Department of Health Issues Emergency Closure for Cox Creek and Furnace Creek

August 13, 2014 – The Anne Arundel County Department of Health has ordered an emergency closing and posted signs warning against swimming and other direct water contact for Cox Creek and Furnace Creek in Glen Burnie, Maryland. The closings are due to sanitary sewer overflows that began Tuesday, August 12 from the Cox Creek Water Reclamation Facility (approximately 57,600 gallons) and the Cinder Cove Sewer Pumping Station (approximately 43,000 gallons).

The waterway closures will remain in effect until August 20.

The Department of Health advises people coming in contact with the affected water to wash well with soap and warm water immediately. Clothing should also be washed.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:55 PM

My guess is upper bay is a mess for a bit, both debris and tough fishing conditions with the muddy water. I'll be trailering down to Solomons this weekend most likely to fish Saturday and Sunday. Will probably try for Spanish and fool around with breaking fish if we find them. May run over to the eastern shore side and try the Honga area as well. Be safe out there anyone who fishes farther north with all the potential obstacles floating down.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus9000 View Post
. Be safe out there anyone who fishes farther north with all the potential obstacles floating down.
Yeah, like 100K gallons of sewage!

You kinda have to wonder how many gallons REALLY were lost that they may have accidentally overlooked. Even if they are spot on, YUK!!!

Old 08-13-2014, 07:09 PM

Martin O'Malley should by lead away in handcuffs
5th
Old 08-13-2014, 07:17 PM

Good news - Pa. did not see the rain we got so Susky will not be flowing hard and bringing dirty water down the bay on east side.

The rain was heavy locally but the run off will go into various rivers and settle out.

Likely the Patapsco will run muddy and this will cause west side to be dirty for a while. It takes about 3 days for run off to reach the bay.

Bear in mind - the fresh water run off will often sit on top the saltier bay water. Watch meter for an odd fuzzy line about 6-12 feet down. Similar to thermocline but less defined as it gets mixed up by current / waves.

If any thing to look for - some fish might leave shallow water and move out to 12 -15 feet to escape fresh water.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:08 PM

Brown trout trips available!
Old 08-14-2014, 05:42 PM

I wanted to poke my nose out and check for possible debris and to see how dirty the water was today The good news is the water looked just fine. No logs or grass to deal with, but no fish either

I don't usually get skunked, but today, I got my a$$ handed to me. Mickey and I left the dock at 9am and ran to where I have been having success. We ran past a few charters working north of us and I figured if the fish moved, I would try that new area out. I dropped 6 lines and trolled my area, nothing. I switched out 3 lines with different tackle and still nothing.

Pulled lines and ran to where the charters were working. They were definitely in a search pattern. Nobody was netting fish. We kept a close eye on two charters and never saw anybody reel in anything

Pulled lines again and went to the opposite shore. Dropped lines in an area I like to liveline. Saw one boat chumming the area and they caught a small fish chumming. Trolled the area to no avail

Finally decided to pull lines, run back to eastern side and hope to see some breaking fish or birds on the ride home. Mickey and I saw few birds today. Only small clusters of seagulls pecking at dead fish or sitting in a tide line.

The winds kicked up some nice whitecaps out of the south and we rode the crest of the waves back to Bodkin Creek.

I don't know if the rain moved the fish or if they just had lockjaw today. I did see some nice marks in a couple places, but no rods responded to the marks. Mike and I got a chance to catch up on a nice cool day in August, and he did bring me a big Mako Shark steak for the grill from his Montauk trip

I guess I need to find them again!
Best of luck,
5th
Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 PM

Were you pulling the right baits?