Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2015, 01:19 PM

Default Sailfish question

I am planning to do a sail fishing trip with 2 friends this fall / winter. I was hoping for some intel from the guys that fish the Keys. Which month is the best sail fish bite around the Islamarada area. Also, are the Keys the best bet or would you stay up north on the coast.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 05-13-2015, 06:33 PM

I went to Key West last year and booked three half day trips for sailfish.

Bad experience. Key West was good for drinking not so much for fishing.

Next time I will go to Islamorada or Marathon.

My sister has a good friend in West Palm Beach that moves his boat down to Marathon for sailfish. He is the type that can afford to take his big Viking anywhere he wants and he chooses Marathon. He moves it down there and fishes from February - March then he follows the Mahi back up to WPB.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:09 AM

We got married in Cancun in Early Feburary (10 years ago). 65 friends joined us We booked 5 AMERICAN boats that run out of Isla Mujeres and caught a total of 120+ sailfish . It was off the charts hot fishing. I was only able to go 1 day, but I personally caught 5 sails!! It was AWESOME!!! Now I know that's not what you were asking but if your interested in catching sailfish, that place is rediculous! It was the only time I have ever actually seen a Guy Harvey print in real life; a giant school of sails were working a HUGE bait ball.
I went to Playa de Carmen a month later and fished a "local" boat......we got skunked. Spent the extra money to go domestic, OUR domestic!!

If you are set on Florida, I would choose Marathon or islamarda. I know a guy in Marathon and KW if your interested.