Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2010, 09:19 AM

Default Lost my Dummy Line

Went out of SPSP on Sunday. The plan was to go to 88, set the spread and head down to Bloody and Tolley's. Never made it that far because my low oil alarm went off. I had a couple of inches of oil in a spare bottle, poured that in, wondering the whole time how much more time we would have. So I decided to stay north and close to home.
Shortly after putting the spread over, my HO says what's that. You guessed it, it was a string of crab pots in 60'-75' of water. I grab the wheel and throttle and make some evasive maneuvers, No snags, WHEW, but then I hear my dummy line, I tell the other guy, we got one. He checks and the cord is broke about 5' down. The whole day we wondering what the hell happened. Was the cord getting worn rubbing on the boat? Was it a big a$$ fish? Was it a submerged crab pot? Who knew.
We left the ramp at 7:00, decided to pack it in at 2:00. total score: 1 near catastrophy, 1 lost dummy line, 1 knockdown and 1 22" on the other dummy line as we decided to rack the rods.
After the boat is on the trailer, Jay and Ray say we figured out what happened to the dummy line. Hanging off my prop is about 3' of shredded dummy line. I am lucky to have only lost about $25 worth of gear, the motor, prop and seal seem to be fine.
It was a slow day to say the least, but a day fishing is never without a little excitement.
Til Next Time,
John