Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2010, 07:21 AM

Thumbs up Crabbing Report 6-26

It was a great day on Saturday. The wind was almost non existent, the water was clear and the tide was a perfect run off tide due to our full moon. Started the day by waking up god awful early. Splashed the boat before sun up and had the gear in the water just as the sun was rising. First run of the line told me it was going to be a good day. First pass 24 nice fat crabs in the basket. Continued crabbing and the crabs kept up a strong showing until roughly 7:30. Moved my line deeper and had a steady pick until 9:00am. I called it a day with a bushel and a half.

The crabs were better quality this week bigger and fuller. A lot of doublers.

Was using a trout line with chicken necks.

I saw three boats Saturday cruising the shallows hunting cow nose rays with bows. One boat was extremely interesting, it had a 15’ dear stand contraptions mounted on the bow. the gentlmen was sitting in the chair looking down for rays while his buddy drove the boat.

Gentlemen we have a new pastime.

This week’s menu will be crab soup, crab cakes, crab imperial, crab, crab and more crab.

Thursday I am venturing out into the Patapsco to chase some finned critters.

Good luck gang.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 06-28-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:06 AM

It really was pretty on Sat. Morning. With the boat laid up, a fellow CBAngler offored me a ride and we put 4 nice rock in the boat by 7:30 and found some spot to replenish his pen. Pretty day.
Glad the crabs cooperated.
5th (Marty)
Old 06-29-2010, 07:59 AM

I did well crabbing on Saturday as well. I took a buddy and left the house at midnight to go after some croaker and get a jump on boat traffic. We caught twenty croaker between 11" and 14" on bloodworms and shrimp.
About 4 am we headed up the Severn river and started to set up the trot line which I splurged on Thursday and bought a 1000' snooded trot line (the bungee snoods) for 200 bucks. I had 500' laid out doing well and then it tangled worse than any baitcaster I have backlashed! I ended up only using 500' and still caught a bushel.

Scott

Last edited by STMAN; 06-29-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: sold trot line
Old 07-01-2010, 02:43 AM

We have been eating so much crab I think I am getting a crab COMA

TED
Old 07-01-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STMAN View Post
I did well crabbing on Saturday as well. I took a buddy and left the house at midnight to go after some croaker and get a jump on boat traffic. We caught twenty croaker between 11" and 14" on bloodworms and shrimp.
About 4 am we headed up the Severn river and started to set up the trot line which I splurged on Thursday and bought a 1000' snooded trot line (the bungee snoods) for 200 bucks. I had 500' laid out doing well and then it tangled worse than any baitcaster I have backlashed! I ended up only using 500' and still caught a bushel.

Scott
Might want to keep an eye on your time. Penalties have been increased this year for early starts on crabbing.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:50 AM

I hope I didn't break any laws... I started up the Severn river at 4:00 and had the trot line set by 4:45 and I waited untill 5:02 to start running it. The way I read the rules you could start crabbbing an 1/2 hour before sunrise and the National Weather Service had it scheduled for 5:32.

There was plenty other boats laying out their lines and I actually had to fight for a spot.

Please let me know if I was in violation I certainly do not want to break any laws.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 07-01-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I hope I didn't break any laws... I started up the Severn river at 4:00 and had the trot line set by 4:45 and I waited untill 5:02 to start running it. The way I read the rules you could start crabbbing an 1/2 hour before sunrise and the National Weather Service had it scheduled for 5:32.

There was plenty other boats laying out their lines and I actually had to fight for a spot.

Please let me know if I was in violation I certainly do not want to break any laws.

Thanks,
Scott
Trot Line can't go in the water until legal starting time. DNR's schedule on sun up 6/30/10 was 5:44am 1/2 hour before sun up was 5:14am.
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/tides/index.asp

Don't be fooled by what the other guys are doing. Some may have commercial licenses (Different Rules). Some are breaking the law.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Thanks,
Scott
Glad you had a good day! You were in violation of the recreational crab laws though.

B. Recreational. Except for handlines and dipnets, a person may not set any recreational crabbing gear or catch crabs for recreational purposes from a boat during:

(1) May through September between:

(a) 5 p.m. and 1/2 hour before sunrise in the main Chesapeake Bay; and

(b) Sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise in tidal waters tributary to the Chesapeake Bay;

(2) April, October, November, and December between:

(a) 5 p.m. and 1/2 hour after sunrise in the main Chesapeake Bay; and

(b) Sunset and 1/2 hour after sunrise in tidal waters tributary to the Chesapeake Bay.

Hope this helps. Good luck..........Gary
Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
Glad you had a good day! You were in violation of the recreational crab laws though.

B. Recreational. Except for handlines and dipnets, a person may not set any recreational crabbing gear or catch crabs for recreational purposes from a boat during:

(1) May through September between:

(a) 5 p.m. and 1/2 hour before sunrise in the main Chesapeake Bay; and

(b) Sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise in tidal waters tributary to the Chesapeake Bay;

(2) April, October, November, and December between:

(a) 5 p.m. and 1/2 hour after sunrise in the main Chesapeake Bay; and

(b) Sunset and 1/2 hour after sunrise in tidal waters tributary to the Chesapeake Bay.

Hope this helps. Good luck..........Gary
A bushel caught means there was 1 license on that boat. Don't they hand the regs out with the licenses???