Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2015, 06:48 PM

Great looking boat . Markley are a outstanding fishing boat . Congratulations on a pretty ride
Old 03-18-2015, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys ... excited to say the least.

Should have it in Deale this Saturday afternoon.

The gentleman selling the boat didn't troll - strictly chunking, chumming and bottom fishing. Because of that, the boat doesn't have rod holders on the roof for fishing planer boards or a trolling valve to slow it down below 4 Kts.

We already have the trolling valve and it should be installed next week as well. We are still trying to decide if we want a knob or lever control for it .... any thoughts?

Slowly getting gear together of an evening after work .... tonight was planer board assembly. Don't make fun of the ugly ass blanket ...lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boards 1.jpg (82.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Boards 2.jpg (92.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Boards 3.jpg (92.8 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Tawn; 03-29-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:48 PM

Boards look great Tawn. But; you weren't "lion" about that rug
5th
Old 03-18-2015, 05:59 PM

One very important thing with a trolling valve - be sure throttle can not be pushed forward too far by accident. If engaged and throttle is pushed forward - the transmission will be fried in literally a few seconds

Some trolling valves use a push type button that prevents throttle from going forward. You pull throttle back to neutral - this disengages trolling valve - then throttle can be used normally.

I've seen guys put a red solo cup over throttle as reminder trolling valve is engaged - does no good if someone leans and bumps throttle forward.

Don't want to spook you but one bump can ruin a $$$$$$ tranny.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:25 PM

Going with the tennis ball on the throttle trick.

The ZF tranny is a touch over $15K new.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:51 PM

I am excited for you Tawn!

some NOAA charts for you to check out

DE Bay
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12304.shtml

DE river to C&D
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12311.shtml

C&D
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12277.shtml

Upper Chesapeake
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12273.shtml

Last edited by B-Faithful; 03-18-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
Thanks for the kind words guys ... excited to say the least.

Should have it in Deale this Saturday afternoon.

The gentleman selling the boat didn't troll - strictly chunking, chumming and bottom fishing. Because of that, the boat doesn't have rod holders on the roof for fishing planer boards or a trolling valve to slow it down below 4 Kts.

We have a pipe welder meeting us Saturday evening to take measurements for the roof rod holders and a tiered and staggered set of rod holders on the engine box.

We already have the trolling valve and it should be installed next week as well. We are still trying to decide if we want a knob or lever control for it .... any thoughts?

Slowly getting gear together of an evening after work .... tonight was planer board assembly. Don't make fun of the ugly ass blanket ...lol
Tawn,
Not sure about a lever or knob. Will it be integrated with the regular throttle lever so that you can't mess up and try to get on plane while in trolling mode? If it is a seperate control, I would get a lever next to the throttle so that I would have to see it and it would remind me to turn it off before getting up on plane. Mine is electronic and I can't go over 5 knots in trolling mode.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 03-19-2015, 03:14 AM

Thanks for the charts Greg. We just bought a chart for the Delaware Bay end of the Canal and for the Northern end of the Bay but I will save these to the iPad we are taking as a backup chart plotter.

As to the trolling valve / throttle control.

There aren't any electronic controls on this boat - we have old fashioned, reliable Kobelt cable controls.

For the trolling valve we have it narrowed down to either a Teleflex Knob type control or a traditional Morse single lever control.

Our thoughts are the knob would be better because:

1) It would be easier to really dial in trolling speed with the knob
2) It's 1/6th the cost
3) It would take up less space and would be a little less "in your face" on the helm than another lever.

For a mechanical safety interlock, I have seen a lot of different things used. One was a hinge screwed to the throttle cover - when you engaged the trolling valve, you flip the hinge over and it would prevent the throttle from being advanced. I plan on slicing a red tennis ball and placing it on the the throttle lever whenever the trolling valve is engaged to remind myself and hopefully prevent smoking a very expensive transmission.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knob.jpg (3.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg single morse.jpg (5.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-19-2015, 05:23 AM

Plus the knob looks more like something you would find on a submarine.
I have done the trip through the C+D to Ocean City several times, it's a nice ride. Just don't forget the 6 mile per hour zone in front of the ship yard by Chesapeake City, the police enforce the area.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 03-19-2015, 06:42 AM

Have done the Severn River- up the bay- through the canal- down Delaware Bay- up the coast , many times on the trip to Martha's Vinyard

No big deal, just follow markers (if the ice hasn't moved them)

Stop in Cape May to eat, stop in Ches. City for a bite, and finally Happy Harbor to celebrate

Good luck
5th