Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 09-05-2017, 08:59 AM

Default Labor Day

As most of you know, I rarely fish either weekends or holidays However, I had a friend from Pa. who wanted to fish this week (unfortunately he couldn't make it) and Monday's weather looked good.
Instead, I grabbed two friends from church who have been wanting to fish. Neither has a lot of experience with saltwater/bay fishing, so Mako Mike said he would go as the mate

I headed south to an area that's been good to me. Pulled in to about 8 boats and found fish breaking and birds working !! We broke out the jigging rods and quickly put 5 keepers in the cooler. When things slowed, I looked around to see 100 boats
Keepers were becoming scarcer and after a while, I had Mike put out 4 trolling rods with #1 and #2 planers (#15 tony's). We worked the scattered fish and picked up 2 additional keepers.
It was time to look for more fertile waters. We pulled the rods and ran across the bay to find rock, blues, and sea trout No keepers in the mix, so ran to an area close to home that holds fish.

Found birds working and on the third drop of the jig, a 22 inch went in the box for our limit. Mike said, "I gotta give it to you, you don't give up".
If we went back short one fish, it wasn't going to be because we didn't try

Mike cleaned the boat while I cleaned the fish. I need to thank Mike for making it a good day with new people on the boat. Never sure how that is going to work out, but with both of us assisting, it was a fun productive day.
5th
Old 09-06-2017, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the kind words Marty, you definitely kept me and the crew busy! It can be hard fishing with people that don't have any or no experience when your by yourself and at same time can turn out to be downrite dangerous sometimes. As for cleaning the boat, not a problem, in the circles I'm from that is the mates responsibility and besides your boat is 41' shorter than the one I usually have to clean and shammy when mating! LOL
Old 09-06-2017, 04:31 PM

Had the same exact action last Friday.

Lot's of heavy metal about a foot off the bottom produced a strike almost every single time; often we'd get hits on the drop.