Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2011, 02:28 PM

Default Standing Naked in Front of the Washer

Well we couldn't have had a better day. I heard some intel about where some fish were stacked up from a good friend of mine. I convinced the Captain to leave our normal grounds and look for fish in a new area.
When we approached the spot, we started marking some bait. Then more bait with lots in the upper water collumn. We slowed to trolling speed and put 9 lines over, all with spreader bars and metal CJ (Captain John) spoons.

I had 0 oz out 18 bars; 2 oz out 16 bars, 4 oz out 14 bars, 8 oz out 12 bars, 10 oz out 10 bars, 12 oz out 8 bars and 3 rods with 20 oz out 4,5,6 bars. All spreader bars had two lures each.

Suddenly, we came across not bait, but fish stacked like cordwood. Three rods go down with rock from 25-27 inches. As we circled back, we found another stack of fish, multible rods go down with 24- 26 inch fish. We were tossing back 24-25 inch fish and only keeping the 26-27 inch fish.

This continued for about 45 minutes, then the tide must have slowed and we picked at smaller fish for a while.

When the tide changed, the fishing was back on, but the stacked fish had disapated and we continued to pick at fish around bait balls. The fishing was so fast in the morning, that we didn't use the net because we didn't care if a fish got off, more were being hooked up as you brought in a rod.

Suddenly, I noticed a different fish in the boat wash. I yelled, get the net! It was our first bluefish of the season (24 inches). Wow, I expected to get small 10 inch blues this early in the season. Soon after, a 20 ounce rod bounced and a rock was on the hook. As we played the rock to the boat, a violent splash erupted behind the boat and two fish were on the spreader bar. Another big bluefish came up and hit the second lure to make it a "mixed" double.

We continued to pick at the rock and on one of our turns, the lures dropped down close to (or on) the bottom and we hooked another nice fish. I grabbed the rod (everyone else was tired of catching) and as the fish approached the boat, I again yelled for the net. A 23 1/2 inch flounder came over the side. Everyone was dumbstruck. It's the first flounder I ever saw caught while trolling. For an instant, I actually thought I had a small ray until I realized what I had.

Well it wasn't long after that we pulled the rods and headed for the barn.
It was a great day, and I know some of my friends are going to fish it tomorrow. Best of luck to them, and thanks for the information.

Oh, I almost forgot, the two blues were as bloody as tuna. I looked like someone had cut my juggler vein and I bled all over my clothes and legs. When I cleaned the boat, I washed my arms and legs just in case I had a car accident on the way home. If the paramedics had seen me, they would have taken me to intensive care.

When I got home, I headed right for the washing machine and stripped so my clothes had at least a fighting chance to come clean. If they don't, I'll wear them as a badge of honor on the next outing.

5th (Marty)
Old 06-06-2011, 04:17 PM

Saw you hook up that Flounder - thought you had snagged bottom.

Congrats on a fine Flounder plus the Rockfish.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:36 PM

Good to have friends who know where fish are Marty. Bluefish are fun to catch but they sure make a mess of a boat. A wash down is a must because once the blood dries, it's a pain to clean. Keep catchin'.........Gary
Old 06-06-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
Good to have friends who know where fish are Marty. Keep catchin'.........Gary
Ain't that the truth. Everyone has been such a big help to me this first season as a mate. Thanks, to my fishing buddies from TF and CBA, as well as some of the Captains I've met this year. Steve Goins from the "Stormy Petral" and Charlie Schneider from the "Big Will" have been very generous with their information and techniques.
5th (Marty)
Old 06-06-2011, 07:17 PM

It's been a really great fishing day when you have to get undressed outside the house.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 PM

5th,thanks for the report.I enjoyed it alot
Old 06-07-2011, 10:33 AM

What a great report Marty, glad that your getting some pointers from other Capts. Thanks for the report is was a good read.....
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com
Old 06-08-2011, 07:23 AM

I told you that the blues were hear. Time to get the smoker ready Glad you guys were able to get on them once again. One day I will get out on that sweet ride.

Hopefully I will get my sweet ride back in the water one day. Still trying to figure out why she refuses to start. I have the doctor coming over on the 22nd to hook her up to the computer.

Then we can start working on croakerpalooza, a raft up for our croaking friends.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot