Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-27-2016, 08:00 AM

Default Fishing Reports

I've been asked "why so few fishing reports?" from some of us

The truth is that we are seeing small pods of fish that can get wiped out quickly

Some are large enough to jig on for a short period of time (short drift), but many of these get spread out after 3 or 4 boats show up. Birds and breaking fish will show you the way with a quality pair of binoculars (or in my case, a friend with stabilizers)

Once you jig on them for 30 minutes, you may have to drop 5 or 6 trolling rods over to locate the broken school.

If you get on some breakers, you can limit out quickly. We set a arbitrary bottom number of 22 inches before they go in the cooler. Some nice fish 26-30 inches are available if you get on them first

Everyone knows I am primarily a troller, but thanks to some good friends, I have been called in on some nice jigging fish.

I will be leaving Deale very shortly (must be out by June 1st), so I will be looking for fish on either side of the bridge.

Sorry, the reports have not been as plentiful as trophy season.

Here is a pic of what's available jigging.

5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2091.jpg (95.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-27-2016, 10:40 AM

OMG one of the retirees posted a report! Thanks Marty, good or bad I enjoy reading the reports. After all you guys should be helping out us working folks who only get out on the week nights or weekends. After all aren't we supporting you? Glad to hear you have been getting some fish and what a lucky guy to be able to take a female college soccer team out! Hop you played nice!
Old 05-27-2016, 04:16 PM

Pic of the girls soccer team
They had a great day on Patent Pending
We ran north, found limited fish (but lots of grass to make my day miserable)
Finally heard of a good bite further south (thanks Bruce) and whacked them.

Here the girls hold up some nice fish for a pic.
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2093.jpg (97.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-27-2016, 08:20 PM

Man I was hoping to get a little credit for those fish! Marty I went back to that same area today and it was pretty dried up. I had to do a lot of searching. But once I found them it was game on for a few hours.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:50 PM

Ok, Ok
Bruce texted me the spot further south, and C.J. confirmed

When I work a charter, I also work my phone (as all my friends know)
5th
Old 05-28-2016, 08:51 AM

Hopefully I will be out next week and will be posting more. I will be heading to Tolchester sometime this weekend to pick up parts for my transmission (thanks Jeff). It will be really nice to know that when I put the boat in reverse it will actually respond. The service manager at Tolchester Marina worked on the phone with me to trouble shoot the problem and then ordered the parts needed to fix it. Got my red hoses ready along with the spinning rods.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 05-28-2016, 06:14 PM

Bruce,

How deep do you run your hoses ?

Any weight on them at all ?

If so in lines? How far away do you run the weight from the hose?

Friday night on the tide change at poddiclory my oldest son and I ended up with 6 all in the 20 to 22 range. Missed a couple on circle hooks. Chumming in 30 feet using cut men Haden drifting with the current.

Hope to get out the next two days and will let folks know how I do.

Anyone seen a hard head north of the bridge ?
Old 05-30-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
Bruce,

How deep do you run your hoses ?

Any weight on them at all ?

If so in lines? How far away do you run the weight from the hose?

Friday night on the tide change at poddiclory my oldest son and I ended up with 6 all in the 20 to 22 range. Missed a couple on circle hooks. Chumming in 30 feet using cut men Haden drifting with the current.

Hope to get out the next two days and will let folks know how I do.

Anyone seen a hard head north of the bridge ?
We did well last year with #3 planers at 40 and 50 feet and #2 planers at around 70 and 80 feet back. If you use weights, drop sinkers on a 2 foot dropper off of the bottom of a 3 way swivel are the way to go. 32, 28,20 oz weights. Run the hose on a 20-25 ft leader with a good swivel in the middle. I think Marty ran hoses off of planer boards last year but I don't know how he ran them.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 05-30-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl View Post
We did well last year with #3 planers at 40 and 50 feet and #2 planers at around 70 and 80 feet back. If you use weights, drop sinkers on a 2 foot dropper off of the bottom of a 3 way swivel are the way to go. 32, 28,20 oz weights. Run the hose on a 20-25 ft leader with a good swivel in the middle. I think Marty ran hoses off of planer boards last year but I don't know how he ran them.
Mike; on my boat, I just ran 5 hoses. Fish were glued to the bottom. They were so tight, that I eliminated the 2 ft drop off the three way swivel and used a "double snap swivel" and attached it right to my terminal tackle snap swivel
This, in essence, gave me a three inch drop
I ran them with heavy sinkers, maybe a 12 oz ctr rod (over the motor). Two hip rods 24 and 28 oz. And two straight out the transom with 16 and 20 oz.

I looked for marks first (seems like 30-35 ft) and starting with my LIGHTEST sinker, I dropped until it hit bottom. I held the rod until it "settled" then dropped it again until it hit bottom, then set the drag. So I double dropped each rod bouncing bottom twice, then locked it in.
I figure I was no more than 3-5 ft off the bottom with each rod.

When Capt John asked me to mate for him last year, it was for a trip ABOVE the bridge (where all the fish were last year). He wasn't familiar with our area, and he had a party he really wanted to catch fish for.
I set out 17 lines (running planer boards); all hoses I had ten board rods (five off each side) and seven boat rods (because the charter boat has such a large beam).
I ran 8,10,12 oz inlines off boards; and rigged my boat rods like I told you above.

We had a ball; one of the best trips ever. When we got back to the dock, everyone grabbed a fish for a photo. We limited out, and John says they still talk about the trip.
Below is a photo of the fish we were caught (right around July 1st)
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1507.jpg (98.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-31-2016, 12:59 PM

Hoses don't work, don't waste your money on them! Particularly Red hoses. Should call them skunk bait!! .

I use 2 swivels in my leaders and down planers.