Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2013, 11:44 AM

Default Hey , Marty - go buy the Sunpaper

Might have been long wait but the story on water related diseases is really good.

The story covers 3/4 of page - really well written.

Most will recognize the names.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:11 PM

Thanks Skip. I just got an email from the author stating it was in today's Outdoors (Sports) page.
I just read it, and he did a very good job for someone not in the science field.

I need to thank you for directing him to contact me. I am not "the" authority on all three of these diseases, however the 32 years I spent in the Mycobacteria Lab working with TB (and Mycobacteria marinum), gives me a perspective not seen by other Charterboat Mates on the bay.

Getting the word out to just be aware of these possible infections is my main cause. Speaking before the MSSA meetings (along with the PSG group) has informed a lot of fishermen of these diseases. The Sunpaper article will reach people using the bay for other recreational purposes. Those that swim, ski, dive, or partake of any other recreation should be aware and informed.

The Chesapeake Bay is a wonderful resource. I love every minute I'm allowed to be on the water.
5th (Marty)
Old 12-22-2013, 12:35 PM

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...,1615522.story
Old 12-22-2013, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the link Greg, Nice article but now I know how it feels to be misquoted - lol.

When I talked to the reporter, I was emphatic that I was the mate and not the Captain and that it happened on my best friends charter boat. I also thought I made it clear that it was Marty who called and told me to get my ass to the ER - not a Mr. Carter, whom I have never spoken to. At least he did get the part about Holland Point correct.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:18 PM

You really do have the flu and a fever probably to boot

The Mr. Carter is me (Marty). But I can forgive you since I always thought your last name was Tipsler. I had to change it in my phone to the correct spelling

And I still don't know Mike's (garlien) last name. He has fished with me fifty times; the wife and I just call him "Rich Mike"

Often, my wife ask's questions about guys I fish with (like where do they work, are they married, do they have any kids), I tell her I don't know! She says, What do you guys talk about all day? I tell her "nothing, we just fish".

5th
Old 12-22-2013, 02:27 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
The Mr. Carter is me (Marty).
Too funny - You are the only Marty I know so I never ask your last name - it's just "Marty" on my phone...

Anyhow, I can only imagine the grief I'm going get from my charter friends about the "Captain" and "my" charter boat references...
Old 12-22-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Often, my wife ask's questions about guys I fish with (like where do they work, are they married, do they have any kids), I tell her I don't know! She says, What do you guys talk about all day? I tell her "nothing, we just fish".

5th
Marty................this is too funny. Cindy just asked me recently a similar question. I think I answered exactly the same.
At least I know your last name now...................Mark

Oh yeh........................last name.......Lagana
Old 12-23-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
You really do have the flu and a fever probably to boot

The Mr. Carter is me (Marty). But I can forgive you since I always thought your last name was Tipsler. I had to change it in my phone to the correct spelling

And I still don't know Mike's (garlien) last name. He has fished with me fifty times; the wife and I just call him "Rich Mike"

5th
I don't want to marry them. I just want to go fishing with them.