Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2010, 07:51 AM

Default As Good as It Gets

Striper fishing was off the charts out of Rudee Inlet on Tuesday. We had to run way south and put a total of 180 miles looking and then following the school. They have finally come in closer to shore. We found 48 to 49 degree water. We could see 30 to 50 pound fish pushing a wake on top in calm water. They would chase the 10" bunker to the surface and patrol in "rat packs". It was a sight to see. Mike and I were doubled up most of the time for five hours. Our biggest fish was Mike's 45 pounder. My largest was longer but not as fat and 42 pounds. All fish caught and released with light tackle. They will be in the bay soon. Some are most likely here now.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:05 AM

Awesome report! My bet is we have about 2 weeks and we will find them in the open waters of the bay around bay bridge!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the inspiring report Bill. Beautiful fish and 180 miles....WOW!

1998 Sea Hunt 202 Triton
"Hoopty"
Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeltor View Post
Thanks for the inspiring report Bill. Beautiful fish and 180 miles....WOW!
Yes, Paul that was extreme; but after not finding anything the two previous days, it called for extreme. Thank goodness for four strokes. Mikes new F250 pushed his 23 Seacraft at 35 MPH in calm water at just about 3 MPG. We could have gone again on Wed, but did not want to push our luck with the weather going that far. There are practically no boats fishing down their right now. Lonely is a good thing until something happens. Sometimes it is best to just be thankful for what you had.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:46 AM

Wild Bill; when you say you didn't find anything the previous two days; is that because they are still schooled up WAY farther south? Does that mean they have a lot further to come until they hit the Cheaspeake, and thus be a week or two behind schedule? 5th (Marty)
Old 03-11-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Wild Bill; when you say you didn't find anything the previous two days; is that because they are still schooled up WAY farther south? Does that mean they have a lot further to come until they hit the Cheaspeake, and thus be a week or two behind schedule? 5th (Marty)
Marty-

I personally know about two huge schools of fish down there, one way out and one in close, but way south. The out school was reported to be 10 miles long. The school we were in was at least three miles long. Hopefully there are more schools. It is hard to know but I suspect that some fish scooted though the bridge with the full moon during those bad weather days when no one was out. I would not say they will be behind schedule. They can move 30 miles per day or night if they want. If I were a pre-season troller, I would try it soon.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:59 AM

Great report Bill.

Water looks calm and the sun is shining.

Must have been a great day fishing.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:32 AM

Thanks for report Bill. That big school must have been a sight to see.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Thanks for report Bill. That big school must have been a sight to see.
Yes, Tim that is what keeps us doing all we have to do to find great fishing. This trip was a bit extreme with 134 miles the first day, 175 the second and 180 the third. We did our part to keep OPEC happy.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the info Bill. It looks like my wife's "honey do" list is going to go undone again this spring. I'm ready for some pullage.
5th (Marty)