Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2009, 08:09 PM

Default Quest For A 40 Inch Rock

Of course we are talking about Old No. 7 (Phil) who has been on this quest for the past three seasons. It hasn't been that Phil hasn't had the opportunity to fish, he just always finds a way to.........how do I say...........um.....he always seems to find a way to NOT land a big fish. Case in point........this past Spring Phil joined my Dad and I for a trolling trip. My dad and I agreed that any reel giving drag would be Phil's. Well a deep rod started screaming about an hour later. I told Phil to grab it as it was definately the over 40 he had been looking for. Phil begins to battle the big fish but somehow manages to give enough slack that the "over 40" swims away as it nears the boat. That's just one example that comes to mind.

Well, fast forward to yesterday,........the day before the blizzard. Phil, Don (Drichitt) and I arrived at the marina at the mouth of the South River around 8:30 am. Luckily we opted for a later than normal start as my boat was still up 40 feet on the rack when we arrived No problem. Within five minutes the boat was launched and we began a little de-icing. Houston we have a little problem.........my new Yami 4 stroke was having a problem peeing. A quick call to Ed Miller (410-375-1638) confirmed that the lower unit was receiving water and that we just needed to let the big girl idle for a while. For those of you looking for a good mechanic that is only a phone call away, I highly recommend Ed. We were under way within about 15 minutes.

It was a "brisk" ride from the South River to the 50 foot line just west of Bloody Point. The meter showed a surface water temperature at the mouth of the South at 39 degrees. The deep water off Bloody Point showed a very cool water temp of 44 degrees. Dang, I told the guys that I hoped a few fish were still around as we had 49 degrees just a couple of days earlier.

It was a pleasure to just sit and navigate as Phil and Don deployed the boards and the complete spread. Other than being a little "chilly", it was a beautiful day on the water. We did see one other center console as well a one charter (no names to be mentioned) doing a little C&R trolling as well. This big guy came rolling up the bay at some point..................

This was definately the "calm before the storm". After trolling for about an hour, a board rod gets hammered. The reel gives up some drag to a definate "over 40". Don and I had both agreed that this was Phil's day. Come on youngin grab the rod......and don't muff this up Phil battles the big girl within 15 feet of the boat when all of a sudden......."de ja vue"!!! Are you kidding me. What did you do Phil? Focus man...you have to focus!!! I think I heard Don mumble something under his breath. I'm not sure, but it sounded like......."dang rookie"

I pondered as to what else I could do to help this kid. I was running out of ideas. Finally it hit me. I told Don that I had an idea. Phil needs some encouragement from some other guys that have been known to let some big fish go close to the boat. I made a couple of calls and soon had Phil on a conference call with Paul (Reeltor) and Marty (5th Tuition) Sorry guys, just couldn't help myself After getting some words of wisdom from Paul and Marty, Phil's attitude seemed to change. I could see it in his eyes. He was now ready to complete his quest.

Another board rod goes down and Phil is all over it. Phil says that this "over 40" is all his. Phil battles the big fish with new found determination..............

Soon Phil had the big "over 40" nearing the side of the boat. I don't know what words of wisdom Paul and Marty shared with Phil, but it seemed to be working. Phil remarked that this "over 40" was not getting the better of him this time. Focus Phil, don't lose focus. I took a big sigh of relief as Don lipped the big "over 40" and gently lifted her aboard for a quick measurement.

This is it Phil. Will you be giving up your prestigious title of "El Presidente of the 39 and something club"?

You guys make the call....................................

Maybe next year "El Presidente"..................................... ..Mark
Old 12-19-2009, 08:18 PM

All you can do is try and Phil is having a GREAT time trying. It has become somewhat a joke at this point and even Phil thinks it is funny. He will get his 40 and all of the fun will be over. Glad you guys had a good day......Gary
Old 12-19-2009, 08:33 PM

Where the hell is that "bangin head on wall" smiley face when you need it...
Ohhh gotta love fishing stories.... They all get better with time...

-Phil

Last edited by Old No.7; 12-19-2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Testing profile picture
Old 12-19-2009, 08:46 PM

Now thats just funny, great story Mark

Hang in there Phil.....might be time to consider who's boat you are on??

1998 Sea Hunt 202 Triton
"Hoopty"
Old 12-19-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeltor View Post
Now thats just funny, great story Mark

Hang in there Phil.....might be time to consider who's boat you are on??
Mark is the man. If you can't catch a 40 on his boat you probably should try another sport.............Gary
Old 12-19-2009, 08:54 PM

You're using the wrong bait......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5213baby_chicken.jpg (68.5 KB, 2 views)
Sandpiper Charters www.goinsfishin.com
Old 12-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Baldzilla

That's a great read Mark...Phil has some luck I tell ya...
PS I think the Marty comment hurts me more than Marty!!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:27 PM

I'm with you Gary, but I think the fish can sense the wrath of sh*t that is going on above the water when Phil's on Mark's boat and play along.

1998 Sea Hunt 202 Triton
"Hoopty"
Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 PM

Glad you guys got out. It amazes me that BPL held a longer bite than the lower bay.. Now I gotta decide if OCMD or PLO is calling the BF after Christmas
Old 12-19-2009, 10:21 PM

Bring out the chains!!