Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-26-2009, 11:41 PM

Default Scary moment at the CBBT tonight

Hey guys,
We got down to Virginia Beach last night after a horrible rainy and foggy drive. The fog was terrible this morning so we slept in a little bit. Headed out around 11 and caught some nice schoolies jigging.

Headed in for dinner and then back out on Lee Tippett's Maycraft around 7:30 to try for the big boys. Well, around 9:30 we heard a distress call on the VHF. Lee jotted down the coords and we shot off to their location. It was sort of rough but the tide was ROLLING! An inboard Shamrock had just missed a monstrous anchor bouy they use to anchor barges off of near the 4'th island. The poor guy caught the giant mooring rope in his prop. This spun him around 180 degrees at full speed and put his transom against the current.

When we got there his transom was starting to get pulled under by the current. It was a bad situation to say the least. We idled up next to him and threw him a serrated knife. He was able to cut the rope free and started drifting away. Thank goodness. The next stop probably would have been to have them hop on board and let the boat sink. . .

Anyway all was well so we went back to fishing. Quite an experience.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:02 AM

They were really lucky you guys were close by and could help. Were they wearing life jackets?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:59 AM

Scary moments happen quickly on the water. Glad eveything worked out. Good thing you all were close by and responded so quickly................Mark
Old 12-27-2009, 11:54 AM

Nice work Francis!. I'm glad you both understood the GPS coordinates and could locate. I ALWAYS carry a knife in my pocket. There is a millions reasons to do it, especially being a contractor. I also dive and Skip will tell you how important it is to have a couple knives and a pair of cutters on you. I hope every one had on life vests and learned a lesson from this narrow escape. GREAT JOB. Now good luck fishing!.............Gary