Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2013, 07:23 AM

Default Excellent!

Marty, this is great news! Really nice to hear that crime has not paid in this case.

I have a bunch of Lowrance knobs in the bsmt collecting dust if Jim can't find a set. You certainly can have a pair if you need them.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:37 AM

The bad guy probably figured you had forgotten all about a whole week later ... dumbass! Glad to hear you got your unit back!! If the P.O.S.
was smart, he would have just sold your weigh points list and he could have made some real money!
Thanks for swinging over to Mike's yesterday, it was nice catching up. I can see me hitting that spot more than I should in the near future.

During the game today I will be working on getting you out to the gulf-stream!!!

Old 12-22-2013, 11:35 PM

The last post from this thread was September. Fast forward to last Friday. Trial was set for Dec. 20th, and I guess the outcome is a matter of public record.

The guy who stole our electronics (from several boats) plead guilty and he will be spending several weekends behind bars. He also has to reimburse all of the victims for the equipment that was not recovered. Lastly, he will be on probation for 18 months. Restitution is part of the probation. If he hasn't paid restitution in 6 months, he goes back behind bars for his remaining 12 months.

The court set it up that way because so often restitution is awarded but not received.

I just thought I'd let you know the outcome of the case. Several people on both CBA and TF had a part in apprehending him.
5th (Marty)
Old 12-23-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
The last post from this thread was September. Fast forward to last Friday. Trial was set for Dec. 20th, and I guess the outcome is a matter of public record.

The guy who stole our electronics (from several boats) plead guilty and he will be spending several weekends behind bars. He also has to reimburse all of the victims for the equipment that was not recovered. Lastly, he will be on probation for 18 months. Restitution is part of the probation. If he hasn't paid restitution in 6 months, he goes back behind bars for his remaining 12 months.

The court set it up that way because so often restitution is awarded but not received.

I just thought I'd let you know the outcome of the case. Several people on both CBA and TF had a part in apprehending him.
5th (Marty)
While out checking our beaches one night last month I walked down to a remote area where kids like to drink and get their freak on. It's absolutely pitch black down that way and one has to travel a path through tall phragmites to get there. Getting closer I saw a big white shape on the beach. I thought, "Oh great, I'm gonna' have to break up a young love fest" as it looked like a few blankets spread out and some people underneath. Got closer and hit it with my flashlight....It was a rigid bottom inflatable that had washed up on the beach.....a very nice one.

Someone had popped the air release on one side of the boat, but not the other. I called one of our officers to help me get it up to level groud so I could secure it. Didn't want it floating away with high tide and becoming a hazard, or having the local hooligans setting it adrift.

Called DNR the next day. It had been reported stolen about a week earlier by one of B-Faithful's neighbors. The boat was stolen right off of their lift. The 9.9 was stolen off of it and then it seems the thieves tried to sink the boat.

Anyway,we contacted the owner and trucked the boat to the owner's house the next day. No damage to the boat, but it sucks to have to buy another outboard for it.

The power was OFF on the lift, so whoever stole it had to yank it off a lift that was nearly 4 feet above the water.

Brazen little punks.

Wonder if it could be the same people that stole from Marty's marina? I hope DNR was smart enough to do the math and check it out at least.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:41 PM

Last year my neighbor had her Kayaks stolen right off her pier. They ended up catching the guys as they were doing it on the Magothy and Severn rivers and selling them on craigslist in Florida. However i dont think she received the kayak or compensation back.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:31 AM

Maybe he won't be able to pay the restitution on time and get locked up properly. No one should EVER mess with a man's waypoints!!!

Hopefully he learns his lesson and tells his criminal friends so they do too. Thanks for the follow up.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:55 PM

Since he was convicted - how about putting his name up for us ?
Old 12-24-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Since he was convicted - how about putting his name up for us ?
I'm going to pass on this. He is 20 years old, and no other contact with the police. It might show up on the DNR blotter if you need it.
Besides, it's Christmas
5th (Marty)

P.S.
I just received my confirmation from District Court today confirming the verdict. That was quick.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:19 PM

Well; we have a few inches of snow today and I just got back from court

I will make this a long post because there aren't any fishing reports being posted. This will give you all something to read, digest, and comment on

I'm going to make two posts: This first one will tell a true story about the current condition of our Country and how it impacts this theft and court case.

Let's begin:
I have a friend who fishes with me often throughout the year. He (as I was) is a State Employee and I am constantly asking him how much longer he has until retirement:roll eyes: He works for the State Roads division, and is the foreman of a shop that takes care of our roads. He takes his job seriously and does it well, too well.
As we headed to PLO for our final fishing trip, I asked him about retirement. His response was surprising, he said, "I almost quit several days ago". WHAT, there had to be a good story behind this
He said that a group of "supervisors" visited him at his shop and they told him he was doing TOO good of a job on the roads his shop maintained
They said that as motorists traveled from one maintenance area, into his maintenance area, and finally out of his area, there was a noticeable difference between areas. In essence, he was making the other areas look bad.
They told him he needed to ease up and NOT do as good a job He couldn't believe his ears. He asked them directly, "Are you telling me I am doing too good of a job, and you want me to do less?" They confirmed his assessment.
He told them that this wasn't going to happen, and they SUGGESTED that he could be "written up" for not cooperating. He told them that he would like to see them reprimand him for doing too good of a job.
The "meeting" ended with him feeling that he would continue to provide the same level of service to the citizens of Maryland as he had in the past.
However; the end of the story is that several weeks later, the "supervisors" took maintenance trucks away from him, so therefore his quality of service would go down and they would win the battle.
He was furious.

So, if you had any trouble with the way the roads looked this morning, you can thank the superior desk jockey's of Maryland who never sit behind a snow plow.

How is this related to my ongoing court case against the person who stole our electronics? It is an example of how we (the citizens) have allowed the politicians to "dumb down" the system. We continually lower our expectations and requirements for people.
This was demonstrated time after time this morning as I sat through court case after court case.
5th

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 01-06-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:58 PM

Quick background:
On 9-12-13 there was a theft of our electronics. I say our, because six boats at my marina were "hit".

On 12-20-13, trial was held and the defendant plead guilty and was given several weekends behind bars, and given 18 months probation, however, he was released for the first six months in order to work and pay restitution of $2600. If restitution was not paid, he was to go back in jail for the remaining 12 months of his sentence.

Fast forward to July 2014. His six months was up, and no restitution had been paid. I called the court system and spoke to the person who was supervising his case. I was informed that no restitution had been paid, however, the defendant claimed he was pursuing a job opportunity and could then pay us back.
I told the supervisor that's what was supposed to happen during the last 6 months.
August 2014: I called to see the status of this case (I'm like a dog with a bone). I know they hated to here from me every month. Still no restitution, but the defendant was due in for "counseling" the following week. I told them I would call back later.
September, October, November; I kept calling and getting some "story" about why he was still walking around. I eventually told the court supervisor that I was as disgusted with him, as I was with the defendant. I told him that he was "enabling" the defendant to "game" the system. I told him I expected that of the defendant, but that it was his job to see that the original sentence was carried out. The supervisor said that he was going to write an "unfavorable" report and send it to the judge.
December 2014; I am notified that another court date (Jan 6th 2015) had been set up for Violation of Probation.

Jan. 6th
Court case was set for 8:45 am. I slip and slide in my wife's Mazda Miata (sent her off to work in my "big ass truck" as she calls it) to court so I can speak with the prosecutor. My early arrival let me have a good discussion with the attorney.
We stepped out of the courtroom and into the hall, where I brought him up to speed on some of the aspects of the case.
I told him that I was sure that the defendants attorney was going to portray the defendant as some sort of victim. They always bring up an unhappy childhood, addiction to drugs or alcohol, or an unfavorable work environment as to reason why the defendants turned to crime.
I wanted the prosecutor and the judge to know that there was another viewpoint.

First:
At the original trial, the defendant had stolen enough electronics, and the monetary value was so high, that he was charged with a felony. The prosecutor asked us (the group of six) if we would consider reducing the charges from a felony to a misdemeanor. Because the defendant was young (22), we didn't want to saddle him with all the negatives that come from a felony conviction. So charges were reduced:roll eyes:

Second:
Although he stole many thousands of dollars of equipment, he was only required to pay restitution on a small portion of the value. Here's how that works. If he stole a fishfinder/gps worth $2000, and the insurance company reimbursed the owner $1500 (because there was a $500 deductible); the defendant was only required to pay the $500 deductible back to the owner If he sold the unit for $1000, he made a $500 profit

Third:
The defendant violated his probation in July 2014, and in my viewpoint, he should have been either hauled back into court then, or been put in jail. He has been walking around for the past 6 months free as a bird. He was allowed to spend the Holidays with family and friends instead of being in jail.

Fourth:
I explained to the persecutor that we (the six) realized that as taxpayers, it would cost much more to incarcerate the defendant for his remaining 12 months (for a $2600 violation); however, we wanted a "message" sent to criminals "gaming" the system.

Fifth:
While we anticipated that the judge may consider "home detention" with an ankle bracelet; we supported incarceration.

So; take a minute to consider how you think the case turned out today. What do you think happened?

Results:
The defendant never showed up in court
The judge issued a bench warrant for his arrest, and a $2600 bond was placed upon his head. Now here is speculation on my part. I believe this means that he will be picked up, arrested, and allowed to pay 10% of the bond (or $260) and he will walk out of the courthouse free again until another trial is set up (probably 6-9 months from now).
This will put us into September 2015. Two years after he stole our equipment

Now remember back to what I said about how the system has lowered expectations. All morning, I watched the prosecutor and the defense attorneys make deals. I thought I was watching a game show on TV. Reduce charges, allow for "time served", postpone cases if defendants were in treatment or performing community service; all this being done in consideration of the defendant (not the victims).
The judge was about an hour late arriving because of the road conditions. I was considering asking the prosecutor if he wanted me to step up into the judges chair; but then I remembered why we were all sitting in the courtroom waiting for the judge to arrive. It bounces back to doing a crappy job getting the roads cleaned. Don't do an exceptional job; mediocre is the new standard
5th

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 01-06-2015 at 02:04 PM.