Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2009, 04:00 PM

Can you make me some of the SNAG PROOF jig heads in 1 oz, 1.5 oz and 2 oz please?

I'm tired of losing them...
Old 12-04-2009, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the replies guys:

Hook size: I am working with different hooks for jigheads. I am working ewll with getting a small hook on a big head and a bighook on a small head. I think this will be easy to do with only some slight mods to the mold and hook.

Keep width/girth: This is going slow. I agree. A lot of the bigger size heads have very thick keepers which tear the shad. This either requires very cautious and serious modification of the mold $$$$$ or ince the jigheads is make a way to shave down the keeper without losing the shape.

I am experimenting. Right now, have custom molds made is too $$$$ but a dremel does a good job at getting rid of some of the keeper.

Weedless: GOOD LUCK!!

I am working on them this weekend a little. I have to work at my real job all day Saturday but should have some time Sunday to whip a few out. I'll post a few pictures.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post

Kimbro will vouch for me, that I have fished plenty of times side by side with someone using really good looking jigheads and I am smoking them using an unpainted banged up piece of crap. Of course, the opposite is true as well.
Yeah, cause it's usually me you're smoking! On the other hand, you're one hell of a fisherman and since I think sensitivity to the bite is 90% of the battle (at some locations), you could catch them with a head made out of a rusty Natty Boh can.

On the other hand, I think I need every tiny advantage I can get, especially if I'm lucky enough to get out with you and Darrell, which is why I'm a fan of contrasting colors, big eyes, frequent hook sharpening, etc. I dunno if it matters to the fish or not, but it does in my mind which is probably more important.

Bottom line, a good assortment is probably the best route. I've seen first-hand more times than I can count when one color lure will outfish another 10 to 1.

Damn... I need to be fishing instead of working!

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"
Old 12-08-2009, 04:39 PM

I did not read all the responses so I apologize if I'm repeating something. I want:

1) a strong hook
2) a short shanked, wide gap hook.

I love the action of a 10" BKD more than a 6" BKD. I think the increased action is due to more plastic being behind the hook. This may lead to short strikes, but that's no worry for me... I think short strikes are usually smaller fish.

In my opinion the 2oz BKD jighead is perfect for a 10" BKD. If the same shank length to BKD length ration could be created in a 6" BKD, and still have a wide gap strong hook, it would be my jighead of choice.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:56 PM

Josh,
Here's what I got so far. Below are the same 1.5 ounce jighead with two different hooks. One is a 4/0 saltwater series Eagle Claw. The second is a 7/0. You can see how the bigger one fits the 10" BKD well, while the small hook fits the 5" BA.

I sent you a B-mail also.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to mburrows

Very nice. Let us know when they are available.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:51 PM

They are available. Mark just became my first CB angler customer 10 minutes ago!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:14 PM

Just got a sampling of the work on these. They are well designed and well made! Putting in an order now!

Check the PM Francis.

Keith
Old 12-10-2009, 04:54 PM

Francis, I don't think you have enough lead to be pouring all these jigs man

I've been pouring for almost a year now and am getting sick of it. The trolling baits are more fun, especially when you see them produce first hand. I personally think those eagle claw hooks are too small for the 10 inch BKD but for the price, they will do. I have had other hooks straighten on big fish before but probably my fault for horsing the fish in. I wish someone would make a strong enough hook with a wide gap for the 10 inchers. The owners are good but over a dollar a pop- no thanks. I called Owner and Gamma and they both said they will make me a special hook but I have to buy by the 10,000's
Old 12-10-2009, 07:47 PM

Dave,
I am using the Eagle Claw 7/0 635's for the big lures. I think they got plenty of gap for the big plastics. What size EC's were you looking at?

I guess there is always some trade off between quality and price. I don't see the extra money worth it.

We got to get together soon and compare ntoes.