Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
I have been telling you guys that we were at the top of the curve with the best/easiest CATCHING in my lifetime (I've been fishing in the Bay for over 50 years). It was inevitable that it would peak and start to decline. Now that everybody can't go out and catch 10-15 big fish everyday, the sky is falling. You should remember the last couple of years, they may be the best you will experience in your lifetime. That's why it's "fishing", not "catching".
This has nothing to do with what we are talking about...we are talking about how when needed, data is skewed to make it look like we catch too many fish and so the recs should be restricted...but it doesnt matter at all in the eyes of ASFMC when they want to increase the commercial quota...data manipulation in the guise of "conservation" but when it comes to true conservation, the true data is ignored...that's what we are talking about here, not "I didn't catch 20 trophies today..
Old 04-25-2010, 11:36 AM

Agenda, agenda, agenda plus politics make for some real scientific data Statistics can be made to prove anything by the presentation. I feel like wearing a hard hat and boots while reading these boards..............Gary
Old 04-25-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldzilla View Post
This has nothing to do with what we are talking about...we are talking about how when needed, data is skewed to make it look like we catch too many fish and so the recs should be restricted...but it doesnt matter at all in the eyes of ASFMC when they want to increase the commercial quota...data manipulation in the guise of "conservation" but when it comes to true conservation, the true data is ignored...that's what we are talking about here, not "I didn't catch 20 trophies today..
I disagree - it's very much related to this topic - which actually comes down to a few guys argueing over whose method is "better" or perhaps more "pure". That whole discussion is being fueled by the fact that you are catching less fish then you are accustomed to catching over the last few "boom" years. If the cycle remained at it's peak, and you were catching loads of big fish every trip, none of this conversation would be taking place. Instead, we have everybody pointing fingers and wanting to put on more regulations, especially on the "other" guys.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
I disagree - it's very much related to this topic - which actually comes down to a few guys argueing over whose method is "better" or perhaps more "pure". That whole discussion is being fueled by the fact that you are catching less fish then you are accustomed to catching over the last few "boom" years. If the cycle remained at it's peak, and you were catching loads of big fish every trip, none of this conversation would be taking place. Instead, we have everybody pointing fingers and wanting to put on more regulations, especially on the "other" guys.
And to make matters worse, the data that some choose to believe is a wag at best.

The Striped Bass wintered further out in the ocean this past winter. Something they haven't done in quite a few years. They also spawned earlier, which in the past, both were normal.

In plain words. The big fish have been here and gone.

Last edited by reds; 04-25-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:23 PM

Default Bunch of Drama Queens on This Board

What's the point? Catching fish.

drama queens.jpg
Old 04-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
And to make matters worse, the data that some choose to believe is a wag at best.

The Striped Bass wintered further out in the ocean this past winter. Something they haven't done in quite a few years. They also spawned earlier, which in the past, both were normal.

In plain words. The big fish have been here and gone.
Reds,
I think originally before you edited this, you had asked me for the article on SWS. I just found my copy again, do you want me to scan and paste a copy? You had said that ASFMC had not voted, SWS said there was a 8-7 vote (don't quote me on that) across state lines on increasing the commercial quota...I'm working on very little sleep so my data may not be exact but tonight I can post it if you want to see it...that being said, if they are posting bad data, someone (maybe you) with the correct information should definitely send them a letter to the editor, they are very good about corrections. Also, I'd like to see the "true" data as I'd like to be fully educated on this
Old 04-28-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldzilla View Post
Reds,
I think originally before you edited this, you had asked me for the article on SWS. I just found my copy again, do you want me to scan and paste a copy? You had said that ASFMC had not voted, SWS said there was a 8-7 vote (don't quote me on that) across state lines on increasing the commercial quota...I'm working on very little sleep so my data may not be exact but tonight I can post it if you want to see it...that being said, if they are posting bad data, someone (maybe you) with the correct information should definitely send them a letter to the editor, they are very good about corrections. Also, I'd like to see the "true" data as I'd like to be fully educated on this
The Striped Bass Committee of ASMFC voted to initiate an addendum to
increase the coastal commercial quotas for striped bass; the motion passed. A draft addendum will be prepared for the Board’s meeting in May. That is word for word from the meeting. It has yet to be approved
BTW... The quota increase is for the ocean fishery not the Chesapeake Bay.

As far as voting across state lines, I don't know what they are referring to.
Member states vote as a state with one vote. There are three members for each state and the ASMFC will not take a partial vote from a state.

My info comes from a report, given at a MD TFAC meeting, by Fisheries Director Tom O'Connell and CBF Bill Goldsborough, who are members of the ASMFC Striped Bass Committee. And also by reading the meeting summaries put on line by the ASMFC.

As far as SWS. I subscribed to that magazine from its inception and until it became apparent that it leaned towards Striper's Forever and the CCA in it's objectives. Both do not have all recreational angers in mind with their agendas.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Baldzilla

Reds,
Don't get me wrong, I'm not disputing you. I am just reporting what I read. I believe they are trying to make the point as to how ASFMC could possibly vote to increase the commercial harvest when the #'s have trended this way (this tied in with the increased restrictions on recreational fishermen).
2006 2009
Comm Harvest 17% 38%
Rec Harvest 45% 29%
Comm Discards 4% 13%
Rec Discards 34% 20%

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti commercial fishing at all. I was just interested to read this article in the middle of this debate.

and you are correct, after reading the article more closely they said "the state of NY made a motion to CONSIDER an addendum to the Striped Bass Management Plan to allow the commercial quota to increase...THe motion passed 8-7. Interestingly, the vote split along geographic lines -south in favor, North Against (with the exception of NY).

it doesnt mention who the increase is for or what is excluded, but the article is definitely misleading, and I agree it trends towards the rec fisherman, but that is who it's targeting so you can't really blame them on that.

Thanks for the information.