Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl View Post
Marty, Is there any truth to the rumor that you are really in Japan looking for a buyer for our Rockfish from our new "Wicked Rockfish" production?

bhl (Bruce
I can just see a Wicked Rockfish production, guys bring the fish to a dockside buyer, he starts looking the fish over and says, "This one is a nice fat butterball, it has good looking skin with no sores" That one you brought me last week was half eaten up and the filets were terribly thin and strangely soft with an ugly white (almost transparent) meat
But this fish looks good. I'd say $3.50 a pound. With this being a 12 pound fish, that's $42
The captain looks into the camera and says, "$42, for that fish; after fuel and paying my mate, I'm only $125 in the hole" "Quick, lets go catch another one".

The show ends with the commentator saying, "The fishermen of the Chesapeake Bay have never been the brightest bulbs in the fishing industry" "Tune in next week, Bill Judge installs new electronics on Greg's boat, and Mike tries to catch rockfish on something other than Rattle Traps!"

One thing I notice about Japan. It's like turning the clock back to the 50's in America. Family structure is so very important. Also, crime is almost nonexistent, my daughter says a friend of hers left her cell phone in the basket of her bicycle, went to work, and it was still there when she returned. I was walking in a big square yesterday, there was a big tent for giving blood. My daughter explained, only Japanese blood could be given, no foreigners could give. Imagine the picketing in USA if we tried something like that. The Japanese see you (foreigner) coming, and if the don't speak good English, they bow their heads or look elsewhere to avoid eye contact. I saw two old guys fishing yesterday. They were using live shrimp. I went over to them and asked, How's the fishing? He tried to explain he didn't speak English well. I showed him several photos of big rockfish and photos of our Florida Keys trip. His eyes lit up and he grabbed his cell. Photo after photo was exchanged by the two of us. We never did "talk" to each other, but we certainly communicated. I watched him fish for a while (nothing caught) and when I got up to leave, he bowed from the hip, I returned a small head nod put out my hand, and we shook hands before I left.

Ok guys, I here nice weather is coming to Maryland soon. Get those boats out for shakedown cruises. Bruce, move your boat down to Herrington Harbor South; Rob, get yours down to Solomon's Island; Skip, get ready for Breezy Point, Greg, yours goes out of Sandy Point, Allan, yours goes out of Back Creek; we will have them surrounded.
See you after the 10 th of April.
5th
Old 03-30-2014, 04:55 AM

I just tried to upload some photos, but my Internet seems slow this evening. I can get text through, but photos won't upload
I'll try later.
5th
Old 03-30-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Ok guys, I here nice weather is coming to Maryland soon. Get those boats out for shakedown cruises. Bruce, move your boat down to Herrington Harbor South; Rob, get yours down to Solomon's Island; Skip, get ready for Breezy Point, Greg, yours goes out of Sandy Point, Allan, yours goes out of Back Creek; we will have them surrounded.
See you after the 10 th of April.
5th
Schweet!!! Still under the radar I am glad to see that Japam is having a calming affect on you

PS......don't worry about your boat,....... Bruce, Jeff, Allan, Rob, Skip, Greg, Don and some guy named Mike and I have a trip planned on your rig with your fuel on Wednesday. We decided to use our tackle as we do want to catch some fish Pics forthcoming!
Old 03-30-2014, 11:39 AM

That is so cool how fishing can overcome language barrier.

Just imagine the world if politicians fished.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:14 PM

Marty great to hear from you...Hope all is well where you are....

Awesome that you got to watch someone fish, but man while you are there you need to stick your "pole" in the water....

Would be an awesome story to tell your grandkids...Yeah back in 2014 I flew down to Florida to catch some fish, then took off to Japan to catch some fish, then I got back home and caught some fish....What great fish stories !

BTW - Where did you put your rods ? When we get ready to take your boat out we might as well use your rods...The numbers on our rods might not match up with your spread...

Old 03-31-2014, 12:15 AM

Mike, weighted umbrellas and six packs are loaded in the transom fish cooler. Rods are in the cabin

My boards look like crap. I was going to sand and paint them this year. I have fluorescent green, fluorescent orange, and bright white paint falling off them from years past.

Tell Tawn, I might get that barrel spot tank completed before livelinning season.

Thanks guys, it helps talking fishing. Trying to help my daughter through a tough time over here. Her POS husband back in USA is causing real problems.
5th
Old 03-31-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
before livelinning season.

Thanks guys, it helps talking fishing. Trying to help my daughter through a tough time over here. Her POS husband back in USA is causing real problems.
5th
Sorry to hear that. Maybe you should be planning to do less livelining and a little more chumming instead......

Old 03-31-2014, 07:03 AM

Jeff, it's spooky scary how easily retaliation creeps into your mind when a loved one is getting hurt.

But off that subject, I found a great tackle shop this evening. The owner said "striper" when he saw my photos. When we got to the Keys pics, he knew most of those fish as well. He went to the Florida Keys for his honeymoon

My daughter was there to translate, but I told him I would be back to buy and look around his shop. One day while she is in school, I'll go back and root through all his stuff to see what I can bring back. I wonder if Sampo Swivels are cheap in Japan
Not much is cheap over here, that's for sure. Again, I can't get over the culture shock. The kids are so well behaved. Nobody would consider cutting in line for the damn escalators. They all line up and patiently wait to step on the moving stairs. In the USA kids would be knocking you over. There are no gang "tags" on any walls. The store owners leave there goods and wares out all evening without anything getting stolen.
We did have a 2.0 earthquake. My first. I was with Don fishing when the one in Maryland hit a few years ago. Because we were on the water, we never felt a thing.
I have never walked so much in my life. Everybody walks or rides bicycles to a store 5 miles away. Fuel is pretty expensive, about $1.75/liter. My daughter says that's down from near $3/liter not long ago.
Mopeds, motorcycles, and small cars are the norm. I know most cars wouldn't pass the USA crash test. Just about every gas station has a car wash. I asked my daughter how come. She said they wash their cars almost daily. If you have a dirty car, that's a reflection on you and how you treat your possessions. If you have dirty possessions, you must be dirty too!
That reminds me, you rarely see women smoke (men yes). A woman seen smoking is a wild woman with no morals. I keep watching out for a pretty woman who smokes . I hope she speaks English
If you forget your change, they come running out of the store to find you and give you your money. If you buy something from a "Mom and Pop" type family store, they follow you to the door, bow, and thank you for your business.
Most every store has a little tray next to the cash register. You always put you money in the tray, never hand it to them. They in turn, place your change in the tray. Money to them is "dirty" and handing it to them is a bit of an insult.
There is NO tipping. When someone delivers packages to you apartment, no tip. If you try to tip, they realize you don't understand their culture. They will stand there waiting for you to take the money back.
They have such a high regard for whatever their job is. Whether its a window washer, a guy that lets cars out of the parking garage (in uniform and white gloves), or a corporate executive. It would be an insult to their family if they didn't give their best, no matter what job.
As you can tell, after just a few days, I'm amazed at how proud they are to be Japanese. Back home, everyone wants to be African-American, Mexican-American, Italian-American, Arab-American or whatever.
It's safe to walk the streets at night. Many Japanese work a 10 hr day, then go to dinner with the other office personnel, and arrive home late in the evening. The high school kids go to school all day, play sports after school, and take SAT Prep type classes at night to try to get into the best Universities; so they are coming home late as well.

Oh well, my wife says the snow is off the boat and better weather is on it's way. I hope the winds lay down to Light and Variable.
Have a good one,
5th
Old 03-31-2014, 07:39 AM

Japanese tackle store
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-31-2014, 07:44 AM

Got a small country? Need to solve a parking problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.6 KB, 10 views)