Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2015, 07:59 PM

Default Incoming vs outgoing?

What is better for catching fish, incoming, or outgoing tide?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 07-18-2015, 10:08 PM

Most time, I could care less. If I worried about direction of current, I would only fish half as much as I do Of course this would set well with the wife

The only exception is when I have "dirty" water above or below me. Then I want the current to bring "clean" water to my fishing area

I have heard some fishermen profess that one or the other is "better", but I'm unconvinced. Of course I can be a little slow sometimes.

5th
Old 07-19-2015, 10:49 AM

Joe; I forgot to mention that you will notice that on most days there will be a "predicted" major and minor tide. I do take note of this. Predicted I guess because of moon phases, but remember, environmental conditions can change these predictions on a daily occurrence.

Check a quality "prediction table" (I use my navionics app on my phone) to see the Major and Minor tides. I simply assume that on a major tide, there will be current moving for a longer period of time. This is what I hope to find.

AND,
If you do have the navionics app, I can pretty much ignore the tide tabes BECAUSE the app also shows current. I go directly to the current predictor.
On my app, the tides are shown by a vertical icon that resembles a thermometer, click on it and you get tide information. Current, is an icon that is an arrow. The arrow is pointing in the direction of the current, and it is filled in to show the strength of the current.
Click in it, and it gives you the current for different time periods throughout the day.

FINALLY,
If you want accurate current information, go to the Chesapeake Bay Interactive Buoy System and view on time information.

Phew, guess I gave you more info than you wanted
5th
Old 07-30-2015, 07:44 PM

That is one tough question to answer - as it can be so spot specific.

Use the bay bridge as example - if given a choice - I like incoming in morning and outgoing in afternoon. Reason being - shadow of bridge in summer will be on face of piling. Often Rock use the shadow to ambush baitfish - add in the current being the " right " direction and chances improve.

Next - a favorite wreck off Podickery. It is good on outgoing but not so much with incoming. Reason ( I think ) - the south side of it has a hole where sand washed out. North side - wreck is almost level with bottom. Rock lay behind wreck and grab bait as it washes past on outgoing. Incoming forces Rock to swim into current.

Spring time - early season - I like outgoing in afternoon. I'll get up close to drop off at shore - water temps. coming off shallows can be 3-6 * warmer then main channel.

Fall I like outgoing near the river mouths - often baitfish will move out with it and Rock ambush them.

Many areas like Hacketts produce on both currents but you might need to move to opposite end of oyster bar. Often the north end is good outgoing - south end good on incoming.

Keep good notes in logbook - you'll find some spots only produce on certain current direction / speed.