Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2011, 10:47 PM

Default Sick Boat Getting Better

Sick Boat!!!! I am getting the boat ready. However, I had a stuck prop. I have been dreading the job of removing it. Today was the day I had no choice but to pull the prop off the hub. What a pain in the A*&%. Heated the hub and applied a lot of pressure with a prop puller. Then cut the hub from the shaft then finally cut the insert with a cutting wheel. I hope no one has to do this job on their Girl. Next stop Black dog to have a new hub pressed in and a high tech tune and balance. Everybody says having a matched set of duoprops decreases vibration, increase speed slightly and decreases fuel consumption slightly. We will see. Glad this job is over

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 02-27-2011, 12:16 AM

Damn! That sounds like a real pain in the ass.

Weather depending, I'm going to put on the new fuel lines, filters and prime bulb on my boat.

Then to fill the tank and see what hidden problems remain after last year's sinking.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:23 AM

Damn - that sounds like a bear of a job. Braver then me - using heat around the seals. Glad prop came off.

FWIW: My dad has always been big on preventive maintenance.

He taught me to pull the prop (s) 1-2 times a season. It was good because a few times we found some fishing line - not ours - perhaps picked up near the dock.

Big tip was using a light coating of marine grease. We could literally pull the prop off by hand.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:57 AM

Wow; I'm glad that's done. Tomorrow starts 6 rods. Get that new prop on.
5th (Marty)
Old 02-27-2011, 02:22 PM

i haven't done that repair (and hope i don't have to!) but old plumber's trick when using heat around valves with seals/packing etc, is to wrap a wet rag around the area you want to protect from heat.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Damn - that sounds like a bear of a job. Braver then me - using heat around the seals. Glad prop came off.

FWIW: My dad has always been big on preventive maintenance.

He taught me to pull the prop (s) 1-2 times a season. It was good because a few times we found some fishing line - not ours - perhaps picked up near the dock.

Big tip was using a light coating of marine grease. We could literally pull the prop off by hand.
Either I had read that, or the people at Fairwinds suggested that to me when I bought a new prop a few years ago so I bought a tube of marine grease at the same time. So far I haven't had any issues with getting the prop off to check for line and stuff, but I don't leave my boat in the water either so it gets a good cleaning the minute I get home with it everytime.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:44 PM

Haven’t had a stuck prop for over 30 years. However I made one mistake. I usually use white lithium grease on the prop shaft and never had a problem. Ran out of the grease and used anti seize this product was not intended for marine use. It contains copper in it. So aluminum props stainless shaft and copper in the anti size. Electrolysis welded that bad boy up tight. Back to white lithium grease. Volvo duo props are also notorious at freezing on the shaft so I a sure that didn’t help. When heating the prop the heat is applied to the outside hub the shaft never became too hot. I could always touch it so the seals are ok. The prop puller is the tool that makes this job doable at home.

Now I have some electrical work to finish, an air horn rebuild and some normal oil & filter changes. Plus an inspection of all hoses and thru hauls.

Plus the normal clean wax shine and shine and shine.

It’s almost time guys.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Old 02-28-2011, 03:10 PM

If it makes you feel any better - imagine pulling a big prop while underwater and only being able to see 2 inches.

What we won't do just to go fishing.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:41 AM

duoprops are infamous for that. yup u gotta pull em every couple months minimally, clean off all the old grease and reapply. It suxes but Volvo props are like made of gold or something with what a set costs. Were u running 2 different sized props?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpheels View Post
duoprops are infamous for that. yup u gotta pull em every couple months minimally, clean off all the old grease and reapply. It suxes but Volvo props are like made of gold or something with what a set costs. Were u running 2 different sized props?
Yeah, they are made of gold. 1000.00 A set. I run B4 which are two different sized props. Black dog has them now they say they will be better than out of the box.

Hopefully this is the last time for this Job.

PSG