Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2012, 05:56 PM

Default Is Mycobacteriosis Killing Stripers in the Bay?

I am a member of Stripers Forever (some other CBA members might be as well) and I just received an interesting email about an online 'Webinar' on Myco and I thought some others might be interested as well. Would like to post over on TF but don't need all of the BS remarks that would surely follow(hint ). I have copied and pasted the email below:

Stripers Forever members - an update on our Mycobacteriosis Initiative in collaboration with Dr. Wolfgang Vogelbein of the Virginia Institute of Marine Sciences: to date we have 55 donors to the program, and have raised $6,140 to research the effects of mycobacteriosis on striped bass in Chesapeake Bay.

Dr. Vogelbein will give an After Hours lecture on February 23, 2012, at 7 PM. titled "Is Mycobacteriosis killing Virginia's striped bass?" Here is a link to register to view the lecture online...http://www.vims.edu/public/afterhour...on/webinar.php
Our understanding is that an email will be sent for users to access the site as a guest on the day of the lecture or sometime shortly before. The lecture will also be posted on the VIMS website to view afterward.

For more information contact:
Jennifer S. Dillon
Associate Director of Development [email]jsdill@vims.edu[/email
Old 02-04-2012, 06:00 PM

Thanks Don. I don't know enough about it, so maybe jumping in as a guest is just what I need.

I DO know that so far, thank God I've never gotten sick from handling or eating any fish I've EVER caught in Md.

And I'd like to keep it that way.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:53 AM

Don, thanks for posting. I am interested to see what they are planning.

I don't know much about the disease, so hopefully this will provide some insight.

I wonder if the salinity of the bay water has anything to do with the spread of it. We had a huge influx of fresh water last year will this increase or decrease the occurrence, or spread.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 02-05-2012, 11:18 AM

Keep your eyes open if you catch a Rock with a green tag. That is from VIMS and part of the Myco study. They tag both sick and healthy Rock.

You can keep the Rock even if you have your limit - they will meet you to pick it up.

My son caught one but we did not know they wanted the fish. Luckily - took a few photos of it. The one we had was OK - had about 6-7 tiny red dots on it.

Spoke with Wolfgang - guy is really easy going - when tagged a year earlier, the fish was clean.

Myco has been reported in many areas of the bay but it seems worse from Baltimore to Chesapeake Beach - right where water salinity changes the most.

I've caught Rock that were full of sores and skinny - very doubtful a fish in that condition would live much longer.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:55 AM

Default Reminder

William & Mary - Va Institute of Marine Science Webinar is Tonight at 7PM...Just received my reminder email. For those interested:

Mycobacteriosis After Hours Lecture
Join the session at 6:50pm by clicking here: http://vims.adobeconnect.com/afterhours or copy and paste http://vims.adobeconnect.com/afterhours into your web browser. Once there please login by choosing “enter as guest.”

You will be able to ask questions through the chat box at the end of the lecture.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichitt View Post
William & Mary - Va Institute of Marine Science Webinar is Tonight at 7PM...Just received my reminder email. For those interested:

Mycobacteriosis After Hours Lecture
Join the session at 6:50pm by clicking here: http://vims.adobeconnect.com/afterhours or copy and paste http://vims.adobeconnect.com/afterhours into your web browser. Once there please login by choosing “enter as guest.”

You will be able to ask questions through the chat box at the end of the lecture.
Were you able to participate?

I didn't get home until well after 9:00pm