Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 06-27-2015, 05:44 PM

Smile Another great trip with a group of Navy Mids trolling south of TPL

Brian (bluefish1928) rounded up another group of guys from the Academy that wanted to go fishing yesterday evening. Actually, technically not midshipmen any more because they graduated in May and are only here until August when they head off to seal training, air, and surface. This time I had my boys with me, too, so there were 7 of us.

I had been hoping to take them livelining after catching 12 spot in a half hour last sunday, but when I went looking for spot early yesterday morning, I was rewarded with 5 species (perch, rockfish, croaker, cownose ray, and spot) but I only caught 2 spot in a few hours of hunting at Hackett's and Tolly Pt. I wasn't taking a big crew livelining, so resorted to trolling full spread with boards and big baits and small baits on boat rods, as I have been the past 6 weeks. I had been out on Wednesday morning and the fish were still around, but I very rarely fish evenings and wasn't sure what to expect. And on top of that, I had a report of not much happening from noon on in that area, but the area had been good to me for 6 weeks in mornings, time to give it a try in the evening.

The guys met us at boat at 4:30 and we had boards in the water at 5pm, and by 5:40 we had the full 17 rod spread out and had already caught a short and an over... great start!

We only fished for a few more hours and each of our guests got to reel in a low 30's fish and a few shorts... no unders, though. My older son, Brian, was my 1st mate for the evening, and my younger son, sat at the helm and kept his eyes glued to the chartplotter, marking where we caught fish and circling us back with the autopilot and keeping us on the fish.

We decided to pull lines in a bit early and this sharp crew had everything including the boards in before sunset for some nice fish pics as the sun was setting.

We stopped at Tolly Pt for some bottom fishing until dark, hoping for some spot and croakers, but caught only a single spot. Good thing we scrapped the livelining plan and trolled!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150626_172504_resized.jpg (84.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20150626_180214_resized.jpg (96.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20150626_202434_resized.jpg (92.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20150626_202222_resized.jpg (98.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20150626_202048_resized.jpg (92.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-28-2015, 04:57 PM

Once again, AWESOME!!! Great that you can take a few of the young men from the Academy out as well.