Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-25-2012, 06:55 PM

Default Patent Pending 5/25

As you know, we were out last Mon and Tues and the mayworm hatch was still a factor. However, today we had bait and fish suspended. Could the hatch be over. We even saw some bait (not much) on the surface

We wound up with ALMOST our limit. We had three come unglued and one short It would have been a quick trip if we could keep the men from dropping the rod tip. We had their three wives onboard as well and none of the women lost fish. I was able to "coach" the women and they liked the rod "belt". Whenever it was their turn to bring in a fish, they would ask for the "strap on"

We heard of a nice bite south of Deale (thanks Skip) and worked that area. Our second fish of the day was a 31 inch rock that one of the women reeled in. It was big enough to take some drag, so I knew it was either a nice rock or a snakehead

Four and six ounces of lead were hot today, whereas 12 and 20 oz were better in the beginning of the week. Let's hope we get back to a normal pattern and they feed on bait instead of worms.

Still no blues and no tails bit off our storm shads. We did have a couple hard knockdowns and found a teaser missing upon inspection.

Enjoy the Memorial Day holiday. We will be out again next week.
5th (Marty)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:29 AM

Strap ons and the men had a hard time keeping it up , you sure you were fishing?
Nice to hear you almost had your limit and the may worm hatch may be over, headed out for a late afternoon trip tomorrow so I'll report how we do north of the bridge.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:43 PM

Phil; I just came back from picking up my boat in the Middle River area. As I crossed the Curtis Creek bridge, the water smelled awful and had a bad look to it. As I crossed the Key Bridge, the water looked like it had "streaks" of brown foam following the wake of boats.

If you go out, give a report on the water as well as the fishing. It's hard to judge from the top of the bridge.
5th (Marty)
Old 05-26-2012, 06:50 PM

Marty

Was not that bad last night. Was it dirty yeah, horrible no.

I did see about a half dozen dead fish. That was from the creek out to the channel.

Did get four fish in a short time, but had to work harder than usual. The bait balls were the best I have seen this year, but they were all hugging rhe bottom and were in deeper water.

I am guessing there was more O2 down near the bottom than near the top.

Fishing has been good though.

Mike
Old 05-28-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilK999 View Post
Strap ons and the men had a hard time keeping it up , you sure you were fishing?
Nice to hear you almost had your limit and the may worm hatch may be over, headed out for a late afternoon trip tomorrow so I'll report how we do north of the bridge.
Awesome!

Where's that "rolling on gthe floor, pee'ing myself" icon when you need it?
Old 05-29-2012, 12:44 PM

We were out also on Friday. Gave the trolling thing a try with the small stuff.

We fished up North around Hacketts point. Not much going on since it seemed the tide didn’t move much.

We did manage 5 hits one came unglued and two unders and 2 fish just at the 20” mark.

Just opposite of you the may worms were still out not much bait on the meter. Everything was deep.

20oz, 30oz and 40oz were the rods that received the bites…..

Tried to find some perch around the ledges and nothing.

Went back out Saturday in the Patapsco went South out of Stony creek in the 14’ Skiff and found some 10” 12” perch tight to structure in high current areas….. 12’- 16’ of water

Grass shrimp was the preferred bait.

Yes the Skiff was all stained up from the water. I had to use the works cleaner on it to get the stains off the hull.

Went to the National Aquarium in the Harbor Sunday with the wife the entire Harbor area smells bad a lot of dead fish in marsh area near the trash incinerator.

I am going to give the Crabbing thing a try for a few weeks.

Good luck gang

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 05-29-2012 at 12:53 PM.