Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-21-2012, 05:59 PM

Default Fishing 5/21 AND 5/22

Went out today on Patent Pending for a search mission. We haven't been out for a while and had no recent intel for where fish were located.

Made sense to head back to where we left them during the trophy season. We were picking up more shorts in the shallow water off the West River in early May---so off we went.

Didn't see much bait or marks; and the rods remained vacant. Spent a couple hours up there before pulling rods and heading south.

Headed for our "summer" waters off Tilghman on the Eastern Shore side. Ran the edge and picked up a throwback. The rod just looked "heavy" and I thought we picked up a trash bag or stick. The 16 inch fish was shaken off the hook and we continued our hunt.

Off the radar towers, we saw a huge bird show and the water was boiling. Naw; that's just bull chit. But we did find bait higher in the water column. Most marks had been deep as if they were feasting on mayworms. Now we had marks in the upper third of the water.

With only 3 people onboard, we quickly put 6 keepers in the box (23-25 inches). Most came off storm (calcutta) lures, but a few took Capt Johns spoons.

Western Shore side of the channel, 45-55 ft due east of the radar towers. You will find us there again tomorrow

Fish were fat and beautiful.
5th (Marty)

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 05-22-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:06 PM

Sounds like a long day...hopefully tomorrow is better for you...

Was hoping to hear you guys found some blues as well...I am itchng to catch more than stripers now....
Old 05-22-2012, 06:43 PM

I figured I'd just tack on a post for 5/22

We left the dock and headed south to where we left them biting yesterday. Pulled up in 46 ft of water and there they were smack dab on the bottom.

What the (heck); When does this mayworm feast end. Same rods and lures went back over. Our most prolific rods were 12 ozs 12 bars, 12 ozs 10 bars, 20 ozs 8 bars, 32 ozs 6 bars. Most fish came off the 32 and 20 oz rods.

I will be glad to see fish in the top third of the water column again!!! Even the bait was deep. I guess there is nothing (fish) driving it to the surface. The water was dead calm today and we should have seen bait flipping on the surface/ but we didn't. Not many boats out in our area. We did wind up further south than yesterday. We ended just south of Breezy. I would have liked to have explored the Parkers Creek area, but we had our fish too soon and we headed back to Deal because Capt. John had some errands to run today.

We have a charter on Friday. If anyone needs an "onwater update", give me a call.

5th (Marty)