Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2010, 09:25 AM

Default What rod do you like????

I know a lot of you guys know that I build Custom Rods but wanted to know what size rods you like using for Jigging. I have been building some 6’2” rods and the ones that I have built the guys really seem to like them. I like the 6’ 2” rod that I built for myself and I also like the 6’ rod that I have. The 6’ 2” rod is a casting rod and my 6’ rod is a spinning rod... I just finished building 2, 6’ Medium / Heavy action rod for Hillbilly Boater but it is a custom built one. I took a 6’6” rod and cut it down to where Jack liked it. I had built him 1 other just like the 2 I just built and the last one I built for Jack he caught a 100lb shark on it. Just wanted to know what your preference is….By the way I have 2 6’6” M/H action rods with a fast tip that I use all the time as well and they are great for flounder as well as Jigging.
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com
Old 02-15-2010, 09:28 AM

Most my trolling rods are 6'6" Medium action rods

My bait casting rods are 6'6" or 7' MH action with a fast tip.

I currently just have junky spinning gear but want to get a nice spinning gear set up this year.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:36 AM

Greg, Let me know if you’re ever interested in a nice spinning rod the 6' 6" and 7’ers are great for top water and also jigging BKD's. I use Batson Rainshadow blanks and I will put them up against any blanks out there. They have the backbone and some of the best sensitivity I have ever felt in a rod.
Contact Info:
Old 02-15-2010, 09:54 AM

What type of reel would you put with it? I havent even started looking at them yet. Most my gear is Penn but I am not stuck on any brand. I probably would look towards one that doubles as a liveliner. My birthday is coming up in early May so I might as well get my wife my wish list now
Old 02-15-2010, 10:12 AM

I'm not a real big reel guy but if you find a reel that is about 10oz or less it really balances the rod out well. I have the Penn Slammer 360 on my 6’6” and I have a Daiwa 2000c on my 6’ rod. I just built a good friend of mine a 6’6” rod and I even got him the Penn 360 Slammer for it. I found the Penn for $115.00 and that was delivered not a bad price when the cheapest I found was 139.00. Now if you’re in the market for a spinning/livelinner look at the Okuma Epixor I have one of them and it’s a nice reel. Now if you ever want a good bait caster reel I just got the Daiwa Strikeforce and for 55.00 delivered you can’t beat it. It’s a 7.1 ratio and brings in 32” on line on one crake. I hope this helps a little but this is what I use....
Contact Info:
Old 02-15-2010, 10:15 AM

Steve; I hope I'm not putting you on the spot, but could you give an estimate on what a nice custom rod would cost. Give a price on one of your 6'2" M/H jigging/casting rods and also a sweet trolling rod.

Most of my rods are all mismatched walmart, kmart, bps, fleamarket finds. They all catch fish and I probably wouldn't throw away any of them. However, I don't have any "good" rods, and it might be nice to know what a custom rod might cost in case the kids are looking for a birthday, fathersday, or any other day present.

When someone invites you on their boat for a day of jigging, topwater, or livelinning, it would be nice to grab that "special" rod to take along.

I use mostly spinning reels, and only have two casting reels (abu garcia ambassadore's). Are the spinning rods as "sensitive" as the casting rods? I would imagine the casting rods would be more sensitive since some of them allow you to "feel" the blank.

So, if you're up to it maybe a little elementary explanation on the benifits of casting vs spinning rods for jigging would be appreciated.

This is not limited to Steve, guys with experience please chime in here.

I always try to take care of my tackle, which is why my "cheep" stuff lasts as long as it does. I don't need "sensitivity" for most of my fishing, but I would like to learn jigging so I can expand my fishing knowledge.

Thanks, 5th (Marty)

p.s. If you feel more comfortable P.M. me the price's

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 02-15-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
Now if you ever want a good bait caster reel I just got the Daiwa Strikeforce and for 55.00 delivered you can’t beat it. It’s a 7.1 ratio and brings in 32” on line on one crake. I hope this helps a little but this is what I use....

I use a Daiwa Megaforce and like it too.

I was speaking for flounder fishing and eeling in the fall.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Steve; I hope I'm not putting you on the spot, but could you give an estimate on what a nice custom rod would cost. Give a price on one of your 6'2" M/H jigging/casting rods and also a sweet trolling rod.

Most of my rods are all mismatched walmart, kmart, bps, fleamarket finds. They all catch fish and I probably wouldn't throw away any of them. However, I don't have any "good" rods, and it might be nice to know what a custom rod might cost in case the kids are looking for a birthday, fathersday, or any other day present.

When someone invites you on their boat for a day of jigging, topwater, or livelinning, it would be nice to grab that "special" rod to take along.

I use mostly spinning reels, and only have two casting reels (abu garcia ambassadore's). Are the spinning rods as "sensitive" as the casting rods? I would imagine the casting rods would be more sensitive since some of them allow you to "feel" the blank.

So, if you're up to it maybe a little elementary explanation on the benifits of casting vs spinning rods for jigging would be appreciated.

This is not limited to Steve, guys with experience please chime in here.

I always try to take care of my tackle, which is why my "cheep" stuff lasts as long as it does. I don't need "sensitivity" for most of my fishing, but I would like to learn jigging so I can expand my fishing knowledge.

Thanks, 5th (Marty)

p.s. If you feel more comfortable P.M. me the price's
IMO casting vs spinning is a personal preference and whatever you are most comfortable with. I have a 6' and 6'6" jigging sticks that steve built. I love them both but, to me the 6'6" is the ultimate jiggin stick and the baston blanks he uses are extremely sensitive.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:13 PM

Hey Marty,
I can give you a ballpark figure on the rods but it all depends on what size cork handle you want, name or decal of a fish and a few other things. I would rather b-mail you some prices or give me a call at the house and I can fill you in. I think you will find my prices are very fair and like I have told many guys, I’m not in this for the money ( Just ask my wife on this one) I just enjoy building rods. I’m home ALL day today but the rest of the week I get home around 4:30. I’ll bmail you with some prices as well

Now about the rods, the reason I use a casting rod is because I have fisherman elbow and I change up using my spinning rod and casting rod. Uncle Phill taught me this and believe me it does help after a long day of jigging. The casting and spinning rod have the same sensitive and the blank you are referring to that the blank is exposed is called a split grip handle and I have made a few of them .I know that some guys say you can feel the bite better with the split grip but I do not have any of my own.

Tim-Glad you find this site and thanks for the kind words I appreciate that and by the way, the 2nd week in April is when we are now thinking about going south for flounder but I will give you a call once everyone agrees with it.
Contact Info:
Old 02-15-2010, 02:09 PM

I got a nice St. Criox from Marty's from the wife as a gift - then bought another one about 6 months later. Both are spinning rods.

One is med. heavy - other med.

Very well made - action is fast. They go for around $125.00 or so.
I tend to buy a rod for a very specific duty.

When I was into jigging/casting - I had a rod for 1 oz - one for 1 1/2 and one for 2 oz. Did I really need all three ? Not really but it was nice to have the exact outfit matched to the weight.

Same with trolling - I have rods for wire , deep lures , light lures , etc.

Still get outfished by the old guy with a busted up rod/ beat up reel