Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2010, 09:56 PM

Hey Keith; what did they do, let you out on work release or something.

Baldy told me he was going to sic you on me.

You been catching any fish? You can post on this board, only about 6 of us read it.

5th (Marty)
Old 10-02-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
It' raining so here's something to ponder.

In anticipation of the return to great fall rockfishing, I have a question.
Often, when I get back to the pier from fishing and open the cooler, there are one or two rock still alive in the box.
Is there a humane way to kill them before I filet them? I was wondering if you could cut down behind the head and sever a spinal cord?
The other option would be to "whack em" with a club, but my neighbors might call "PETA" on me.
How do you accomplish "the act"?
5th (Marty)

p.s.
I realize I could just drag them behind the boat for a few more minutes, as this will surely kill them all dead (there's that dog with a bone thing again).
How about using a tazer
Just let someone else hold the fish when you taze it
Old 10-02-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Hey Keith; what did they do, let you out on work release or something.

Baldy told me he was going to sic you on me.

You been catching any fish? You can post on this board, only about 6 of us read it.

5th (Marty)
On the RARE occasions I've been able to get out I have caught. This was the summer from hell with work, trailer problems, and then major tow vehicle problems.

The cool weather the morning really has my mouth watering to get out. It's gonna be a good fall!

I'll post when I catch so all 3 of the board members can read it.

Oh, and to answer this thread, I've never known you to have a problem with this before...mainly because you don't ever catch anything. But slash the bastard right behind and underneath the gills. It'll bleed it out quickly and it helps improve the taste to boot!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:07 AM

Default empathy, another slippery slope?

a 'fish anatomy' image search shows heart is at the underside of fish, right behind the gill plates. i think circulation is from heart, up through gills, then generally back along lateral line area. cutting fillets at lateral line and removing red meat all seems to make some sense in that respect.

bloodydecks has information about 'bleeding' fish, and following a search for 'ike jime' will lead you deeper into the world of professional fish prep for best price at auction. lots of information out there -are you eating pre-, post-, or rigor-mortis fish? and what is best?

more than i want to get involved in but out on the www, there are some interesting direct-comparison photos of 'striper' fillets from fish that were bled, fish that had full ike jime process, and fish that were wonked on the head, 'western' style.

after wading through a lot of material on the subject, my conclusion was that bleeding live fish by cutting through rear-most area between gills on bottom of live fish, to disconnect the beating heart from gills would probably result in fish losing any consciousness it may have? due to heart emptying blood from fish and possibly improve the taste of the fish at dinner time.

but there's also issue of the bloody mess. my little daughter is on board and i'm trying to not repulse her. and in coming years; attitudes may change and memories of me holding fish spurting blood all over the place may not be a fond recollection.

could make the cut and release the fish to the baitwell for a little while, then put on ice maybe but i decided that i'm pretty satisfied with less proactive method of simply putting them under ice, and the taste of fresh fish resulting from that method. remember the end of 'call of the wild' i think it was. fellow freezing to death decided to just sit down and sort of take a nap; as i remember it anyway.

at home, especially if there's any possibility that fish is still alive, i try to start the cleaning job by removing the head quickly, cleanly. i have no idea what the experience of being a fish might be but i have respect for them as living creatures and do not want to kill them by 1st scaling, 2nd gutting, 3rd severing head where #3 is probably the death blow.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:02 AM

Southerly; good information. Obviously, you put some time into your answer, and I thank you for that.
With the weather getting colder, I find myself with probably those last two fish (to fill out a limit) still alive at the dock when you want to filet.
I'll try the "slice behind the gills" for those last two in the cooler.
5th (Marty)
Old 10-14-2010, 10:42 AM

I've bled fish before - if I'm cleaning them within 6 hours - I don't bother.
With Tuna though - it is recommended.
You'll know when you hit the right spot - blood literally pumps out.
Only drawback - if in a fish box is the mess. The blood often congels - making clots that clog the drain. They are great for grossing out the crew - slurp one like an oyster .
Old 10-14-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I've bled fish before
You'll know when you hit the right spot - blood literally pumps out.
Only drawback - if in a fish box is the mess. The blood often congels - making clots that clog the drain..
I'll tell Lou to bring his cooler.
5th
Old 10-20-2010, 07:28 PM

Keep the fish in a livewell that has at least 750 GPH.

When you are ready to kill the fish, cut straight down from the gills, and you cut the aorta every time. Drop the fish back into the livewell, and 5 minutes later, you will have the cleanest, whitest, best-tasting fillets possible. Bury them in ice immediately.

It DOES make a difference in the taste and also how long it will stay Sushi-fresh. Also, it's a quick, humane end to an amazing, beautiful animal.

-TH
Old 10-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Close the cooler and come back in ten min. They will be dead soon enough.

TED
Old 10-22-2010, 09:16 PM

As much as I like Don's wife's idea about the vodka (just drink it yourself and you won't give a sh^t), I have to chime in. The lobster and crab guys have this down. When animals freeze to death everything just slows down and they go to sleep. Same with fish. Put them in a cooler on ice for a while and they'll never feel a thing.

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"