Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-24-2018, 09:44 PM

Default 5/24/18 Deale

Woo Hoo;
Winds were predicted to lay down in the afternoon, so I planned to take a "dump run" to get rid of some old patio furniture in the morning
We made arrangements with two charters Captains and mates to give us a "heads up" after their morning trip
As I traveled toward Deale, I made my calls and found a destination that was productive on their morning trips.
We broke past the jetty just a few moments before 2pm. We quickly ran to a specific area and put out our 19 rod spread (with boards). As we crossed the channel edge (55-60 ft); the screen lit up with a school of fish. "Watch your lines" I yelled and watched the screen continue to fill with fish. One, two, three, four lines (boat and board) quickly hooked up.
Had two experienced people in the back so I thought everything would be ok

Nope; all the fish boated, but tangled mess as fish crossed lines. I had to put Lou at the wheel and tell him to just head for open water while I worked on the mess. Normally, we could have circled back and put several more in the box.
As we slowly motored away from the fish, I could see charters converging on our spot
Once lines were clear, we returned to find the fish scattered. I would see three to five on the screen and pick a fish out of the small group.
What should have been a two hour fishing trip lasted about four hours picking our way through smaller (didn't keep anything smaller than 21) fish.
Had 5 in the box, and that's all we needed for dinners. Caught a few more fish (C/R) and pulled lines to run home on flat calm waters.
What a great afternoon on the bay. Fish, friends, and great weather.

Fish are schooling up, boat rods are all I'm running from now on. More rods = more headache.

Should get a few more trips in down south. Good hunting my friends.
5th
Old 05-25-2018, 05:15 AM

BOAT RODS!!
BOAT RODS!!
You may have just made me tear up a little Marty 😢
Definitely made Margaret’s day!! 😄

Thanks for the report