Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

View Poll Results: As experienced fishermen, do you mind giving advice to complete novices on this forum
No, not at all 4 100.00%
Yes, I don't have the time or patience for newbies 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2018, 01:15 AM

What's your fav way to catch rockfish Spot77 ? I'd like to learn various ways.. I've heard of jigging, swimbait, poppers... I have some limited knowledge ,, but not enough to put to practical use... again, any advice is well appreciated
Old 06-10-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stace711 View Post
What's your fav way to catch rockfish Spot77 ? I'd like to learn various ways.. I've heard of jigging, swimbait, poppers... I have some limited knowledge ,, but not enough to put to practical use... again, any advice is well appreciated
I like anything that keeps the rod in my hand,,,,,,,casting crankbaits, topwater lures or jigging.

I think most people will agree that a topwater bite is the most exciting; you get to see and feel the fish hit the lure. Casting a crankbait or swimbait into a school of fish breaking the surface would be a close second.

The past few years I've been going out with friends on this forum and bouncing heavy metal lures off the bottom. Stingsilvers, Hopkins Spoons and BKDs have all worked reliably.

Any type of fishing will require significant time searching for the fish and knowing how to fish for them when you find them. That could be why I don't care for trolling very much; being successful relies on good knowledge of the bay (or rivers) that you want to fish and decent electronics to help find the fish, know your depth and "see" underwater structures, humps, ledges, etc.

As someone already said, Rocfishing and being poor don't go well together!

My total investment for a decent day of fishing the water behind my house is basically a few hundred dollars. I traded an old Remington rifle to a fella for a nice fishing kayak that he only used once so that was my investment in a boat. A few rods, reels and lures are really the only other cost (well I guess there's the annual fishing license fee) and since I don't troll big gear in deep water, my gear is far less expensive than the guys that pull umbrella rigs all spring.

I think some of the best advice you'll get is to "just do it." Experience counts. And it sure is fun getting that experience.

I was a freshwater fisherman all my life and I think I brought some decent skills with me over to the saltwater side, but fishing with people with experience taught me a ton and I even took some saltwater knowledge back to the freshwater rivers with me.

Tags
advice, beginner, line, rock, trolling