Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2010, 11:42 PM

Default Give up your secrets

No; I'm not talking about your favorite spot, your favorite lure, or how you work your jig to provoke a strike. I'm talking about your "go to" food or drink that makes fish strike when the going is slow.
For years, I have always carried "Mountain Dew" with me to sacrifice to the fishing gods. Many a fisherman has heard me say "guess I have to break out the Mountain Dew" in order to serve as a catalyst.
Now there are two ways to make the "Dew" work. Most of the time, I just need to crack the top and drink it with my sandwich. Usually; midway through my lunch, a rod goes down and I have to sit my sandwich (or peanut butter crackers) down to reel in a fish. BUT; if no strikes come from drinking the Dew; you have to pour the last of it over the side and actually feed the gods it's golden nectur.
The Mountain Dew thing is a personal ritual between you and the fish; after all you don't "pass the Dew around" to your other fishing buddies. But this year, as several of my fishing friends will attest, we have found a "community" food to share among all the parties on the boat.
What could this wonder food be? It's strawberry lickerish. No kidding, we would open up a bag, pass it around for all to take a couple pieces, and settle in on some fine fishing.
I know I'm taking a big chance here. Everyone wants to protect our fishery, and here I am telling you how to "harass" more of our stock. But what the hell, I figure most of you will forget about me parting this knowledge by the time spring rolls around.
At the last PSG meeting, Capt. George said he had two outside tables still available. I wonder if I leased a table and filled it with Mountain Dew and lickerish, how much money would I make selling those items?

What makes it on your boat, and why? 5th (Marty)