Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2012, 12:53 PM

Default The Baltimore Boat Show is Coming Up....

.......anybody ever buy a boat at one of the big shows?

If so, why?

Why WOULDN'T you buy a boat at one of the big shows?
Old 01-18-2012, 01:25 PM

No; I never bought a boat at the boat show. The location doesn't seem "personal" enough to me. I'd rather sit one on one with the dealer in a less distracting place. As far as pricing, I can't believe that "show prices" can't be had at a later date. I would probably meet the dealer at the show, introduce myself, perhaps arrange a sea trial date, and do the dickering at his office.

If I hit the lottery tomorrow; I'd probably contact Bill Judge to build me a Judge 36 custom boat. I know it's not trailerable, but with the lottery money, I'd have several slips located down the bay (Magothy River, Chesapeake Beach, and Buzz's near Point No Point). I would slip her wherever the best fishing was at the moment. Fuel prices wouldn't be a factor either, and all my buddies would be invited to fish for free.

Damn; if I hit the lottery, I wonder what the wife would want.

Perhaps this could be a new reality show. The producers could give me one million dollars and follow me around for a year to see how I spend it and how it changes my life. I'd be willing to give it a try.

p.s. I hope this darn head cold goes away soon. I have too much time on my hands posting on CBA.
5th (Marty)
Old 01-18-2012, 01:41 PM

I sold boats part time about ten years ago. usually the incentives that the manufacturers were giving were good for a few days after the event, but not for very long.

So I understand the pressure to take advantage of buying a boat during or right after a show.

WHEN I can finally buy a new boat, I'll be sure to sea trial the ones I like ahead of time, build a few relationships with the dealers and then buy when they can offer me the best deal.

I saw some people make some silly impulse buys back when I worked for a dealer.

Usually they bought a boat that was too small for what they wanted to do with it, or they couldn't afford the payments plus all of the other costs associated with boat ownership.

Anyway, I'm looking to hear about anyone's boat buying experience (from a dealer) whether they bought from a show or not.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:53 PM

I bought my Striper at the Boat Show in 2005. The boat was marked down 20% or better, got some more off from that, plus they gave me far more than I thought I would get for my trade. I signed a contract contigent on a sea trial in late March and away I went.

I wil also say I bought my last boat from the same dealer and had that boat at thier marina, so we had about 16 years of history on how I would be treated, which made it much easier to do.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:31 PM

Although I did not buy at the boat show - it did narrow the search down to just a few brands.

If shopping - it's a great way to compare many different brands in a few hours - vs driving many miles to various dealerships.

Right now - it is a buyer's market and dealers will really work with you / allow boat show special pricing to carry past show.

A new boat is a huge investment - not good to buy on impulse.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:09 AM

Mike and I aere heading up there today. We both have some business in Baltimore anyway, so might as well have a little fun while our chances of an early death are increased....

Say hi if you see us....hopefully we'll be walking a little stupid by the time we get there.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:30 AM

I went to the show yesterday. It is even smaller this year. I didnt see many notible big brands or dealers. Heck, I dont think I even saw gootees there and they are one of the larger and more reputable dealers in the area. No hydrasports, sailfish, pursuit, scout, etc. Very very few fishing boats.

Too bad. It used to be fun to walk around and check out all the boats with my kids. It cost me $10 to get $23 to park, and $15 for lunch... That's nearly $50 bucks for just me to go to an empty show. I wonder how much longer it will last given the Ravens play Sunday too.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 01-20-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:09 AM

Back in the early '90's when the Bassmaster classic was in Baltimore, my Dad was looking for a new boat. I saw something that I thought he would be interested in at the sideshow they had there, and we both went back the next day and looked at it.

He finally decided that was what he wanted, so at the Timonium show in '92, he played 2 dealers off each other, and ordered exactly what he wanted and did pretty well on price.

He has passed on, but before he died, he handed down that boat to my sister and her husband. They still use it regularly.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
I went to the show yesterday. It is even smaller this year. I didnt see many notible big brands or dealers. Heck, I dont think I even saw gootees there and they are one of the larger and more reputable dealers in the area. No hydrasports, sailfish, pursuit, scout, etc. Very very few fishing boats.

Too bad. It used to be fun to walk around and check out all the boats with my kids. It cost me $10 to get $23 to park, and $15 for lunch... That's nearly $50 bucks for just me to go to an empty show. I wonder how much longer it will last given the Ravens play Sunday too.
You could have made some of that back by signing up for the MSSA tournament while you were there. They were giving $75 discounts for entering the tourney while at the show.

It was a decent sized show, but you're right about a lot of the bigger names missing. I think with the cancellation of the Timonium show some of the vendors decided to skip this one too perhaps.

We took the light rail from North Linthicum. Total of $7.00 for both of us....round trip. Beats the heck out of $23 to park....OUCH!!!!

I talked to a couple of vendors there......they know it will be a ghost town in there on Sunday. Same thing has happened before when the purple birds made the playoffs.