Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2018, 07:10 PM

Default Not more rain

I just spent this week assisting with our Vacation Bible School I couldn't get out to fish, but I had a ball with the little children and on the last day, got to "Slime" our Pastor.
Now that I'm available to fish, looks like thunderstorms/rain for a couple of days

I Can't Wait For Fall Fishing
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 063.jpg (100.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-14-2018, 01:22 PM

Default More rain

Worse than that. There was very heavy rain and flooding on the Susquehanna headwaters. Fishing creek in Benton is running down the middle of Main Street and taking out cars. All that water will be in the Susquehanna and the Bay - again.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:59 PM

Was up around Lancaster today and the Susquehanna looked like Halie Berry but was much wider and not nearly as pretty.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:35 PM

Default 8/27/2018

I saw a NASA satellite pic today that showed the awful color of mocha that's working it's way down the bay again......oh joy.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:01 AM

Oh, where you referring to this from 8/26??? See why I am barely leaving the slip? I am at 110 hours for this season so far; normally I would have AT LEAST twice that by now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EFE0BD0C-2FEB-46C9-BCA6-10CB85AA417F.jpg (6.5 KB, 6 views)

Old 08-29-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie27 View Post
Oh, where you referring to this from 8/26??? See why I am barely leaving the slip? I am at 110 hours for this season so far; normally I would have AT LEAST twice that by now!
Can i have your slip Sunday night then? Again no room at the inn. Wife and I are beginning to feel like Mary and Joseph everytime we try to come over.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:08 AM

The debris got me
Jeff, I know why you you remain in your slip. I was out a couple of nights ago catching spot. Ran back to the slip and hit some debris. RPM's wavered a bit and boat ran OK back to slip.
Next fishing trip, ran to bridge, caught 8 nice fish (up to 32 inches). Tried to get on plane to come home, RRRRRRRR. Spun prop
We limped into SP at 2.8 mph and had the wife go get my truck from Jay's Marina (SHIPLEY'S). Took the crew back to my house (where the met me in morning). Hooked up trailer and drove back to SP where Jay was tending the boat. Loaded it on trailer, went back to marina, I had a spare prop, Jay put it on for me, ran boat, all is good.

I brought all my livelinning gear home (bait pen, rods, bait dip net, etc). Too much trouble to catch fish I have to go two times to catch enough bait for one fishing trip. So that amounts to three trips to the bridge (two for bait, one for actual fishing). Three chances to hit debris instead of one chance if I troll or jig.

I got lucky this time; not pushing it again.

What's out there is waterlogged and half submerged now. Hard to see running early morning or later in evening (my favorite times to fish in hot weather).

As a matter of fact, I had to instruct the crew to be on the lookout for birds or breaking fish as we ran to bridge at 6:15 am; because I had to keep my eyes on the water for debris. Normally, I'm searching the skyline for birds flying, scanning the water for slicks, etc.).
Can't do it now. Must remain focused on debris. When you get into a tideline, it's the worst. Then you have to immediately get out of it so you don't damage anything.

I've had enough rockfish for a while, maybe evening cruises are I'm my future for a couple more days
5th

p.s.
Thanks Jay for all your help and getting me back up and running in just a few hours. Not only did he change props, but I had a repair kit for the old damaged prop, and he now has that one ready for the next time I need a spare. Thanks bud
Old 08-29-2018, 09:08 AM

Jay is the man! It’s nice having a tool shed on premis with everything imaginable!
Old 08-29-2018, 12:57 PM

Glad I could help, even gladder it was an easy fix! And thanks for the feesh.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:05 AM

Mako- I will be banished to the back basin for Sunday night. My Baby exposed to the elements without a roof over her head; how could they?? Just because people like you come over and are willing to pay for a slip, my freeloading a$$ gets the boot!! Luckily this is only the 2nd time this summer. Should be a great time with Kayne Twitty playing. I’m in a beer pong tourney Sunday afternoon so prolly won’t make it out there.

Marty- we may have to change your name to “Lucky Marty” because you’re lucky to have Jay!!!. Outboards def have an advantage over inboards when it comes to a debris field. Those $500 props are much easier to swallow than a $2400 one. Saw Delkeman’s towing posted a pic of a 50’ sea Ray that broke their shaft, bent their prop, and was taking in water earlier this week. I DO NOT want that to be me!!! Guess I’ll stick to the slip again this weekend. It’s better then tearing up the boat and missing the fall when it’s better boating anyway. Humidity is not the fat man’s friend!!!