Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-24-2017, 01:54 PM

Default Very special trip - Thurs 5 / 18 - Sandy Point

Yesterday I got a call asking about taking a 10 year old boy with terminal brain tumors / cancer fishing. His family said Ethan wanted to catch a fish - messed up world when 10 year old has a bucket list. Doctors have only given him about 2 months to live. They had tried fishing at Lake Waterford in Pasadena but no luck.

We discussed going today - Thursday - at 9 am from Sandy Point - so plan was set. I did not sleep well - half over thinking how to catch just one fish - half how life is so uncaring at times.

Got to Sandy Point and launched boat - NRP officer Cameron Brown stopped by to say hi. He helps out with Wish a Fish and told him what was going on. He wished me luck and I double checked rods / lures. VHF called for 10-15 from SW - 1-2 chop - not best with young ones but hoped it would not be too bad.

Fellow TFer Pat and his wife arrived - they are friends with Ethan's family. Pat would help me run boat - hopefully net the one fish we needed to make trip a success. Ethan's family arrived and we loaded coolers on boat. Cameron came back and brought Ethan a DNR floppy hat . I asked few questions about Ethan's health - his mom told me he was OK - right hand was weak - but overall good to go for few hours.

With 5 adults and two kids - boat was full but comfortable. Ethan and his dad I put in rear seat - softest ride on my boat. Cell phone was ringing - texts from other fishermen who knew of this trip. Your advice will never be forgotten. I got numbers from one charter captain who I doubt would give them out if sinking.

With as much fresh intell as I could have - we headed out. South wind was not bad and current was incoming so waves were mellow. Ran boat at easy 22 knots - did not want to chance a thud. Our course was west of # 86 - about 8 miles. Few glances back - Ethan was doing fine , pointing out the big north bound ship to his dad. We got to area and slowed boat to watch others fishing but did not see any action. Meter showed fish though so Pat took helm as I set rods over. Ran tandems with 6 inch shads - weights from 8 to 12 and out 70 - 120 feet.

Had two rods set and was getting third ready to deploy when Pat yelled - fish on. Talk about weight lifting off my shoulders. Ethan and his dad took the rod - we let them have a father / son minute - and Pat and I discussed netting this important fish. Ethan was doing his best to reel in the fish - using left ( strong ) hand on the right side handle. Everything worked out and soon we saw the in line sinker. Moment of truth - Pat and I looked at each other and pulled leader in. Fish hit trailing lure so we had to watch the dropper lure. Fish was hooked well and Pat slid net under the fat 25 incher.

Doubt I've ever been so excited over a " small " Rockfish. Ethan and his family were thrilled at the huge fish and I'm sure boats within a mile heard all of us cheering.

With that one fish - day was a success and got other rods out. Bam - # 2 came to play and Ethan's brother reeled in a 23 incher. Wind had dropped out and light chop all but disappeared. We swung around and Pat ran boat as I got chance to congratulate Ethan on his catch. He thanked me - and I noticed his left eye was partly closed - due to tumor pushing. Ethan told me his doctors five weeks ago had given him one month to live. On the 31st day - he called his doctor to tell him he was wrong. I had done OK to this point - glad I had sun glasses on - I took helm back and silently cursed - just no fair this young boy was dealt horrible hand.

We got a hit and Ethan's mom reeled in a short 19. Soon got another 22 and then a 23. Ethan told his mom he was about done - we had fished about 90 minutes - so we reeled lines in and took detour to Thomas Point for nice photo. I asked Ethan if he wanted to drive boat back - he hesitated but soon was steering boat towards the bridge. He gave his brother a turn - then let me run boat last mile to ramp.

We got back to ramp about 1:00 - off loaded everyone and fish , Pat said he would clean them. Invited Ethan and his family back on Weds afternoon - short trip to see Blue Angels fly. Going to do my best to make what time he has left fun.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:16 AM

It's AWESOME you were able to provide that opportunity for Ethan and his family. Life is anything but fair sometimes; I can't imagine what they are going through. I'm reluctant to ask but were you able to get him out for the Blue Angels at all?

Old 05-25-2017, 02:21 PM

Jeff - no , sadly. Ethan is not doing well - doctors have him on very light dose of morphine to combat pain.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:31 PM

Oh noooo!! So so sad .....

Old 05-25-2017, 07:31 PM

My hats off to you Skip. I Teared up reading this story. It's one thing when you see an older person with a sickness but hits the heart hard when it's a kid. I'm praying for this kid and his family. I pray that God will comfort this family and take all the pain away from this young man.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:05 AM

Skip,
It was a great thing you did for this kid and his family. I shed a tear reading about him. It is such an awful disease and when it hits someone so young with so much ahead of him it is just even more awful. I will pray for him and his family. Thank you for posting. We all need a reminder that life is short and helping others is a good thing.

Steve