Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2010, 02:15 PM

Default Question on Boat U.S. Insurance

I have Boat US insurance. Unlimited on water towing and up to 100 miles on road towing. My question is this. Do I really need it? Cost is $168.

I fish 99% out of Taylers Island.. Normally there is someone else on the water if you break down. Or my friends are out on the water at the same time.

I dont take the boat offshore. Very seldom trailer it.

Was just wondering what you all think.

Vince
Old 02-07-2010, 02:34 PM

Vince,
I also have the unlimited towing. I've heard too many horror stories about huge tow bills for short distances. You can wear out a credit card quick.

I have it for peace of mind. I never had to use it yet. I have an older boat. I am usually one of the first ones in at my marina, and last one out during the season.

JMO,
Jim
Old 02-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Baldzilla

It's for that one time Vince...I was on someone's boat last year, we got 58 miles offshore and broke down at 2 am!!!! That tow boat was the 2nd best thing we saw all day, the first was what the bill would have been had he not had the insurance. Even if you don't go that far offshore, a 10 mile tow will pay for itself over and over again!!
Old 02-07-2010, 05:02 PM

I've had it for three years, used it twice. First tow was short, but still would've been $500 but second was from Poplar Island to Kent Narrows. $1500 bucks if I didn't have the insurance. A couple of guys stopped and offered to tow me in, but they had their families onboard and surely plans for the evening. I think it's the best deal on the water.

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"
Old 02-07-2010, 05:59 PM

You got to weigh the pro and con.
If you ever need it - it is a good deal.
If you never use it - kinda money wasted.

Although it is discouraged - I still tow broken down boats in. That is the old school way - help each other out.

You could put the $168.00 in a savings account - in 3-4 years you'll be able to cover most tows by a commercial crew if needed.

Shop around - some boat insurance will include a limited ( $500.00 ) tow for free.