Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2010, 09:10 PM

Default Fuel sensor gasket/E 10

Every time I went down in the cabin of my boat this season, there was a faint smell of gasoline. You know how it goes, first I thought it was because the boat was shrinkwrapped all winter with a full tank, and the tank may have been too full and the gas smell was coming from the overflow. Next time I used the boat, still full tank, thought it might be from trailering with a full tank. Next time, knowing the tank was no longer full, I knew I had a problem.
Took the deck plate off over the tank and saw the fuel sensor gasket was deteriorating. You could put a screwdriver to it and push it all around. I called ED MILLER and asked him about the problem. He said the gasket is a standard size and can be bought at West Marine and it is a simple DIY job. I bought the gasket for about 5 bucks and looked at the situation.
My biggest fear was that when I removed the sensor, pieces of the gasket would fall into the tank and then I would have to have my tank cleaned.
So I trailered my boat over to my dealer (Allstar Marine). Dave, the owner, Al, his father, and Mike, the mechanic, have always been good to me and treated me well. I explained the problem and asked if Mike could look at the gasket. They were surprised to see it in such poor condition. They said Mike had done many in the past, so I figured I better let him (with experience), do the job. We pulled the boat around back and Mike jumped on the task. I sat next to him and tried to keep the pieces from falling in the tank (and those damn maple tree heilocopters as well).
After we installed the new gasket, Mike took the old one in to share with the others. It was the worst they had ever seen. I told Dave I needed a ticket (bill) written for the job (took about 45 minutes). They have a sign that says "labor $85/hour; one hour minimum". Dave said "don't worry about it, I'll catch you next time". I gave Mike a nice tip, and took the boat out today to run it. All went fine, no smell, and no cloged fuel filter.
Check your gasket, it only takes a minute. E 10 was probably the culprit. The boat is nine years old.
Fishing is tough out there, best to everyone. 5th (Marty)

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 04-30-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 PM

E 10 and George Bush are blamed for everything Glad you got it fixed Marty. Gas fumes in an enclosed area is nothing to play with. The fumes probably made for bad fishing too............Gary
Old 04-30-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
The fumes probably made for bad fishing too............Gary
Absolutly. I've been wandering around the bay half in a daze from gas fumes. If you look at my trails on my chartplotter, I can't seem to run a straight course. The lures were impregnated with the gas smell and the fish avoided them with abandom.
I'm going to buy a half buschel of fresh alwives and put them through the grinder and make a "soup" in a 5 gallon bucket. Then I'm going to put all my lures in the bucket and let them soak overnight. This should get rid of the gas smell and help attract the rockfish. I'll then throw all my rods and lures down in the cabin and close all the windows and lock the cabin door. This should help "concentrate" the fish attractant odor on the lure.
Temperatures are headed close to 90 degrees this weekend, so that should help. I will not be able to get back on the bay until sometime next week. I'll let you know how well it works out.
5th (Marty)
Old 04-30-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Absolutly. I've been wandering around the bay half in a daze from gas fumes. If you look at my trails on my chartplotter, I can't seem to run a straight course. The lures were impregnated with the gas smell and the fish avoided them with abandom.
I'm going to buy a half buschel of fresh alwives and put them through the grinder and make a "soup" in a 5 gallon bucket. Then I'm going to put all my lures in the bucket and let them soak overnight. This should get rid of the gas smell and help attract the rockfish. I'll then throw all my rods and lures down in the cabin and close all the windows and lock the cabin door. This should help "concentrate" the fish attractant odor on the lure.
Temperatures are headed close to 90 degrees this weekend, so that should help. I will not be able to get back on the bay until sometime next week. I'll let you know how well it works out.
5th (Marty)

Your wife will accuse you of having stray women in your cabin........Gary
Old 05-02-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
5th (Marty)
Sounds like a good plan......quite a few folks need to get rid of a skunk smell.
Sandpiper Charters www.goinsfishin.com
Old 05-02-2010, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the good info......man that E10 blows.....