Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2010, 11:27 AM

Default One fish in 3.5 hours 10-14-2010

Garlien and I trolled around for a little while late yesterday afternoon after the rain cleared.

No bites trolling with 5" swimbaits.

Found a shallow area, about 4' deep and threw a big ratltrap....second cast I caught a 20" Rock that was sick as hell.....sores all over one side of him. Back in the water he went.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:30 PM

[QUOTE=Spot77;868....second cast I caught a 20" Rock that was sick as hell.....sores all over one side of him. Back in the water he went.[/QUOTE]

Why didn't you just eat the other side.
5th (Marty)
Old 10-15-2010, 05:08 PM

That sounds like the one I threw back Wed
Old 10-16-2010, 11:51 AM

Myco is quite yummy with the right sauce.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
Back in the water he went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
That sounds like the one I threw back Wed
Just wondering - Why does everyone throw back these "sick" fish? If the fish was of legal size (20" is) why not remove the fish from the water and dispose of it so that it does not die in the water only to be consumed by other animals in the food chain.....possibly further spreading the MYCO?
Old 10-16-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdCrappie View Post
Just wondering - Why does everyone throw back these "sick" fish? If the fish was of legal size (20" is) why not remove the fish from the water and dispose of it so that it does not die in the water only to be consumed by other animals in the food chain.....possibly further spreading the MYCO?
I've tried to start this same conversation on this board without success. We should not release sick fish.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:23 PM

Question

So I kind of get where you are coming from with the sick fish thing...

Here is the problem, I am not a marine biologist, therefore, what could be one type of illness to you may look like another to me...I just don't study pictures of sick stripers...To be honest this was the first one I have seen all year...Add the fact that I am color blind and I really can't tell if a fish is sick or its just gotten way too close to the rocks I am fishing....

Maybe DNR could put in a "sickness" advisory in next years fishing guide that everyone gets when they get their licenses...It might help someone like me....

In the end, if I dont know what the fish may or may not have, its going back to hopefully live a long, happy, healthy life....

Unless of course Marty happens to be there waiting for me to drop the fish back in....He will take that big net and scoop it right out of the water...Its not catch and kill or catch and release....Its catch and eat...

Old 10-16-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
Unless of course Marty happens to be there waiting for me to drop the fish back in....He will take that big net and scoop it right out of the water...Its not catch and kill or catch and release....Its catch and eat...
That's why I always fish with Lou. I eat the pretty ones and I give him the nasty ones. Of course he does walk with a limp, has a hump on his back, and is blind in one eye.
5th (Marty)
Old 10-17-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
That's why I always fish with Lou. I eat the pretty ones and I give him the nasty ones. Of course he does walk with a limp, has a hump on his back, and is blind in one eye.
5th (Marty)
That does make it really hard to tell which one of you is worse off!...........Gary
Old 10-19-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
5th (Marty)
Eek.....I have a slight limp, and I'm blind in one eye.....guess I need to stick with the perfect looking fish.

As to releasing the sickly ones....I don't know...I never thought about it. I just assumed that since >I< didn't want it, maybe some other creature would benefit.

Food for thought (I know ....bad pun).