Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2010, 04:17 PM

Default Bloody Point - 3/22 w pics

Lots of releases - Bloody Point - 3/23 w pics

My phone rang this morning at 5:45 am - it was my dad. He asked if we were still going since the trees in his yard were blowing around. I said - of course , then he said something that really worries me. He said he just did not feel up to going today.
Now , if you know my dad - it is never too rough to go. In fact , he'll go when I'm having second thoughts.
Sucks him getting old on me. He's up for the next trip hopefully.

That started the morning off on a sour note but I headed off to sandy Point to meet fellow Tfer Charlie S.
He was there when I pulled in - not hard to find each other since no one else was there. Wind was blowing right good from the south - predicted to be SW.

Launched the boat and quickly racked the six rigged rods and the one spare one. Ran out over 2 foot whitecaps at about 18 knots. With no real game plan - ran SE towards #84A. Watching the meter as we ran - saw very little bait. The water was off colored at first but cleared near Thomas Point. Got below Bloody and saw a few bait schools so we put over the boards. Only took a few minutes to get out the spread. 3 singles off port and 2 tandems off starboard. Back 100 - 75 and 60 feet. Rigged up a test rig from Reel Dragon tackle. Small 6 arm 6'' glow shad with a 2 oz parachute. That went out off the board as well.

Wind shifted SW and began to lay down.

We trolled east/west from 50 to about 90 feet. Had a hit that broke the rubberband but no hook up. Release #1.
Swung around and had another hit - again it broke the rubberband but did not hook up. #2 release.
I was hoping we would catch - then release.

Had that happen one more time then hooked up to a fish. Charlie made short work of a good looking fish about 32 inches.

It hit a white sparkle parchute.

We circled around and let the incoming current carry us north. The high tide was really high - the current ran in long after prediction. Had another release - my guess is small males that could not get the entire lure. I debated switching to 6 inch shads but we did not have much time left. The rod with the umbrella got hit and I reeled in a chunky fish about 33 inches.

Wind shifted west and came up about 1:00 so we reeled in and ran back. Good timing as it got windy on the drive home.

Hoping more fish show up soon - got a bad feeling a lot got killed this winter.

Last edited by Skip; 03-23-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post

Hoping more fish show up soon - got a bad feeling a lot got killed this winter.
Why do you think that? Fishing effort was greatly reduced this winter at the CBBT due to weather. I'm not trying to stick my hand in a hornet's nest, just wondering.

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 03-23-2010, 04:59 PM

Nice fishing Skip! Was a little snotty on the way out, then we experienced a full blown kidney damaging ride back to SP

Of the few fish we caught most were small, one around 28", with one decent fish in the mix. Last spring we seemed to catch mostly males or just smaller fish in the low 30's with a few larger fish sprinkled in. The poaching of the EEZ in VA and NC had to damage the stock.
We also noticed there were no trailers AT ALL when we arrive back at Sandy Pt.

1998 Sea Hunt 202 Triton
"Hoopty"
Old 03-23-2010, 05:01 PM

There was a lot of boats out in the EEZ - plus trawlers off NC beaches.

If you saw the dock pictures from Va beach and NC - there were a lot of big 30 to 50 lbers hanging up.

Hope I'm wrong but there are only so many big Rock around. We can not keep killing them and think it will not impact the population.

There has been a steady decline in numbers the past 3 years.

Paul - I offered to knock it down for you
Old 03-23-2010, 06:45 PM

Nice Fish, Thanks for the report
Old 03-23-2010, 06:54 PM

Skip,
I hope your Dad is OK.

Glad you got out and caught a few.

Jim
Old 03-23-2010, 08:27 PM

Skip, nice seeing you on the water today. SPSP looked mightly lonely with just our two trucks there.

Be glad you headed in when you did. It became Judge weather soon after you headed in. We made 18-20 on the way in once these winds kicked up some decent seas
Old 03-24-2010, 11:20 AM

Skip, I hope that your dad is alright too. Thanks for the report!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
Be glad you headed in when you did. It became Judge weather soon after you headed in.
so it laid down, flat calm, and was 70 degrees? nothing that could rattle the plastic loose???