Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2013, 08:27 PM

Default Winter Fishing Garage Rehab - Lots of Pics

With fishing season closed, I decided to kill some time this winter by working on and updating the garage.

I thought some of you might enjoy following along.

Background:

It's nothing special, a 26' X 24' attached, side load garage. My wife parks on one side and the other side is a part time rigging station, VFW, American Legion and neighborhood tavern.

A couple of years ago, I had an electrician run eight new outlets, add eight new fluorescent lights and run cable in the garage. I also added a TV, a surround sound system, put up 29 rod holders, added some cabinets and decorations, including antique reels on the ceiling to make it a little more comfortable.

This is what it looked like last week. I will add some "in progress" and after pictures when its all done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg THT Before #1.jpg (96.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg THT Before #2.jpg (94.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg THT Before #3.jpg (76.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg THT Before #4.jpg (27.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg THT Before #5.jpg (60.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg THT Before #6.jpg (20.8 KB, 43 views)
Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 PM

Like most things, this started off innocently enough. My cheap-o Wally World clock died and I decided I wanted to replace it with something a little nicer. Then pandora's box opened when I found this way cool vintage 1969, Budweiser light/clock. The clock has scratches, cracks and dings in it...but hey, I'm a 69 model and Im kind beat up too!

I can't stand exposed wiring so I knew I would have to run an outlet at the clock, that's when I came up with the idea of covering up the drywall work with cork tiles....I HATE drywall work!

Anyway, the pictures give you a pretty good idea of where I am going with this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg THT In Progress #1 (1969 bud light).jpg (60.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg THT In Progress #2.jpg (56.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg THT In Progress #3.jpg (38.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg THT In Progress #4.jpg (55.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg THT In Progress #5.jpg (66.0 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Tawn; 01-21-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:30 PM

I used 1 X 3's painted haze gray to mount the rod holders too - I finally got the spacing balls on perfect.

Much to my wifes displeasure, I ran the rodholders through the dishwasher before putting them back up.

I am also using 1/4 X 2 as "Crown Molding" to cover up the gaps near the ceiling - also painted haze gray.

Spinning further out of control, I bought a 56" Saifish replica to commemorate last years trip to Costa Rica with my 79 year old father.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg THT In Progress Part 2 #1.jpg (93.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg THT In Progress Part 2 #2.jpg (91.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg THT In Progress Part 2 #3.jpg (24.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg THT In Progress Part 2 #4.jpg (73.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 PM

Remember, this all started with running an outlet for a new clock, then it spread to covering the entire wall to avoid patching the drywall.

The "While I'm at it" syndrome has firmly set in...I have now decided to cover all the walls with cork tiles and to switch out all the mismatched picture frames for nice matching ones.

I know I have posted a pic of it before, but no garage is complete without The Worlds Most Interesting Man and an autographed Ron Jeremy picture.

BTW, All the plastic tubs and baskets sitting on top of the cabinets are fishing and/or boat gear that will go back on the boat when I put it back in the slip in April.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg THT In Progress Part 3 #1.jpg (73.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg THT In Progress Part 3 #2.jpg (58.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg THT In Progress Part 3 #3.jpg (77.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg THT In Progress Part 3 #4.jpg (80.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg THT In Progress Part 3 #5.jpg (92.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 PM

Whew; I'm glad the Ron Jeremy photo is him with clothes on. I'd be more interested in some photo's of his female co-stars I guess there's a story behind (opps no pun intended) how you got the photo?

Maybe the next CBAngler get together needs to be in your garage It looks like I could spend some time there checking out all the fishing equipment and the bike. Is that a Dyna Wide Glide?
Cold beer, fishing equipment, TV with surround sound, and motorcycle; I would pi$$ the wife off just to be sent to my mancave
Looks like you did a great job. Thanks for posting.
5th (Marty)
Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Maybe the next CBAngler get together needs to be in your garage 5th (Marty)
I have already thought of that. I'm putting in about 3-5 hours a day on it, so hopefully, it will be near finished (it will never be completely done) soon.

Once it is, I was gonna throw the invitation out there.

The bike is a 1980 Super Glide, an old Shovelhead, I went completely through it about 15 years ago and then quit riding in favor of fishing.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:34 AM

I love **** like this.. Good for you.. The cork tiles finish it off very nicely. Crown moulding hides a multitude of sins. I have several runs of speaker cables behind mine.

Alas a "garage" is built for a car.... And I don't see one
Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 AM

Screw the car....my detached garage is a clusterf_ _ _ of assorted fishing gear bags, 15 or so rod/reel combos, assorted boxes full of those magic lures that I just HAD to have, yet have never used, various target stands, ammo boxes, camping stuff, and furniture waiting to be refinished.

The only creature comforts come from a single 15A line buried underground that powers one light, a radio and the fridge converted to a homemade kegerator.

Don't need much else.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
The bike is a 1980 Super Glide, an old Shovelhead, I went completely through it about 15 years ago and then quit riding in favor of fishing.
I know what you mean about the bike. When I retired, the wife was going to buy me another bike (I sold mine when the kids were younger). I told her not to; when the weather was nice, either the bike or the boat would sit. I couldn't do both.

My son and I still rent harleys. Usually for a week at a time. We have been to Colorado and California, and the wife and I spent a week in the Keys on a bike. My son and I usually get two different style bikes so we can switch off during the week. My favorite is the Dyna Wide Glide; those small ape hangers fit me perfectly
5th (Marty)
Old 01-22-2013, 01:34 PM

Damn , that is one nice set up.