Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2010, 04:40 PM

Default Sept. 1st Great Start

Nice day hunting Spanish today.
I'm off to an administrative board meeting at church, but wanted to post a pic to wet your appitite for the story to come. Looks like the good karma from saving the osprey is still in effect.
Mouth of Eastern Bay; 50 + ft of water; looking for breaking fish.
5th (Marty)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new spanish.jpg (43.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 09-01-2010, 06:12 PM

Holy Mackerel! Pray for me tonight!!!..........Gary
Old 09-01-2010, 09:14 PM

So the story goes:
I have to thank Rob (fish nut) for introducing me to yet another species of fish I need to chase. These spanish aren't here very long so Lou and I decided to split the cost of "gearing up" for them. Lou bought the planers (four #2's and I bought the lures (5 drones). I eventually bought two #1's as well.
We have had moderate success with blues outnumbering spanish by about 3:1 in our catch rate. Today, Allen (just chillin) wanted to see what it was all about.
We left SP at 6 am and headed to BPL. We had another boat of friends with us so I told them to check deep water (60-100+) and we would check shallow (20-50). Allen couldn't believe you could catch anything running at 6.4 on the gps. No sooner did he express this, when a small (16in) rock hit one of the drones. He said "you gotta be s*ittin' me". I laughed and said, we might need to speed up.
We have been seeing pods of bait with birds overhead and fish breaking on previous days, but today was really quiet. We picked up one single spanish and it perked our interest. We searched for birds, but nothing was happening. About an hour later (and several twizzlers) we saw some breaking fish. Allen had asked me if spanish "school" like rock and blues. I told him I didn't know enough about them, but I figured they traveled in small groups of 3, 4, or 5; as I had seen them "leaping" in pairs or threes.
Well when we approached the breakers, you could look over the side of the boat and see spanish in a feeding frenzy just ripping through the bait.
Two lines went down and we each brought a nice spanish to the boat. The breakers would only be "up" for about 5 minutes (enough for a single pass). We scanned the water and every 10-15 minutes, they would erupt again. Sometimes we let the other boat "skirt" the breakers, and other times we took a pass through.
We had the fish all to ourselves. No other private boats or charters seemed to be in the area. I'm not sure how many spanish our friends picked up, we left earlier then they did (it was hot today around noon).
I took three and Allen kept three. Mine hit the grill as the wife pulled in from work.
Looks like a good way to start September. Lets hope that "Earl" doesn't cause too much of a problem. It feels a bit funny not to be sitting in a dove field popping those little bastards that dart and dash when you pop up from your shooting stool. But, I could get used to this spanish thing.
Thanks to Jim at "Marty's" for helping with selection of lures and suggestions for the spread.
5th (Marty)

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 09-01-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 AM

I wish I was there in the morning!

I started at Brickhouse Bar at 3:00 in the afternoon pulling 2 #15 tonys and 2 tubes on the channel edge all the way to Bloody point. I picked up one barely legal rock only to put it back in the drink. I switched to drones and picked up the pace to Eastern Bay and trolled til dark and only had two planers tripped the entire time.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:13 PM

Marty awsome report. You are killing me i have been working 12 hour days and you guys are catching fish. Retired people piss me off Those spanish are good eating fish. I have a recipe I will have to pass on. will give you a call when things slow down.

Might try an overnight this weekend if the weather holds

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 PM

Rob; feel free to pass along the recipe. I'm so new to the spanish thing that I didn't have a real recipe. What I did was filet the fish (left skin and scales on). Cut out the blood line. Washed the meat and placed on a tray skin side down. Drizzled a little extra virgin olive oil over the fish and sprinkled a little old bay, salt, and pepper over the filet. Then I placed a couple slices of lemon on top of the fish.
Started up the grill and put some aluminum foil on it and sprayed some non stick cooking spray on it. I placed the filets skin side down on the foil. Closed the lid and let it cook about 7 minutes (until the meat flakes). Removed the fish from the grill and put on plate. When eating, the meat flakes off the skin and I leave the skin (and scales) on the plate to discard.
Does anyone have a better suggestion? Do you scale the fish before cooking and eat the skin? The scales are so tiny, it doesn't look like it's worth the time to scale them. When I filet rock, I remove the skin (and scales) and then cook them. The skin on spanish is hard (if not imposible) to remove.

How do you do it?
5th (Marty)
Old 09-03-2010, 05:02 AM

replace the salt and pepper wit a little rosmary, skin on and towards the heat
Old 09-03-2010, 10:30 AM

Default Filleting

I skin em just like every other fish with out much problem. Then you can cook them any way you want including frying,pan frying, grilling (right on the grates)they were firm enough to hold up. Good Luck, will be out Monday w/ Swartj targeting them,rock, flounder and perch. Wish us luck, we did it last year.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:03 PM

JohnnyO; best of luck to you, I hope you find all the species mentioned.

When I try to "skin" my fillet, I wind up cutting through the skin. You must have the skills of a surgeon.
5th (Marty)
Old 09-03-2010, 06:09 PM

Sounds like a fun day. Them are some good eatin critters...............Mark