Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2010, 08:26 AM

Congratulations on finding them!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
So the story goes:
I have to thank Rob (fish nut) for introducing me to yet another species of fish I need to chase. These spanish aren't here very long so Lou and I decided to split the cost of "gearing up" for them. Lou bought the planers (four #2's and I bought the lures (5 drones). I eventually bought two #1's as well.
We have had moderate success with blues outnumbering spanish by about 3:1 in our catch rate. Today, Allen (just chillin) wanted to see what it was all about.
We left SP at 6 am and headed to BPL. We had another boat of friends with us so I told them to check deep water (60-100+) and we would check shallow (20-50). Allen couldn't believe you could catch anything running at 6.4 on the gps. No sooner did he express this, when a small (16in) rock hit one of the drones. He said "you gotta be s*ittin' me". I laughed and said, we might need to speed up.
We have been seeing pods of bait with birds overhead and fish breaking on previous days, but today was really quiet. We picked up one single spanish and it perked our interest. We searched for birds, but nothing was happening. About an hour later (and several twizzlers) we saw some breaking fish. Allen had asked me if spanish "school" like rock and blues. I told him I didn't know enough about them, but I figured they traveled in small groups of 3, 4, or 5; as I had seen them "leaping" in pairs or threes.
Well when we approached the breakers, you could look over the side of the boat and see spanish in a feeding frenzy just ripping through the bait.
Two lines went down and we each brought a nice spanish to the boat. The breakers would only be "up" for about 5 minutes (enough for a single pass). We scanned the water and every 10-15 minutes, they would erupt again. Sometimes we let the other boat "skirt" the breakers, and other times we took a pass through.
We had the fish all to ourselves. No other private boats or charters seemed to be in the area. I'm not sure how many spanish our friends picked up, we left earlier then they did (it was hot today around noon).
I took three and Allen kept three. Mine hit the grill as the wife pulled in from work.
Looks like a good way to start September. Lets hope that "Earl" doesn't cause too much of a problem. It feels a bit funny not to be sitting in a dove field popping those little bastards that dart and dash when you pop up from your shooting stool. But, I could get used to this spanish thing.
Thanks to Jim at "Marty's" for helping with selection of lures and suggestions for the spread.
5th (Marty)
Hi Marty! Good job on the macs. Michael has been making (forgive the spelling) caviche with them. Fish cooked in lemon and lime juice/ no heat basically. It is his new favorite thing. Come on down and he'll make you some! Hope all is well!! Christy
Old 09-07-2010, 12:12 PM

I am new to Spanish Mackerel; Can someone let me know if they go up the Potomac and how far? What months are they here and from what I have read they seem to hit both surface and deep running lures? Sounds like SP run with Rocks but not with Blues? Thanks!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:15 PM

Dude; I'm new to Spanish hunting but will try to answer some of your questions.

I have to believe they will travel up the river, how far is a good question. I would think they would follow the bait (like every other fish we chase).

How long are they here? Until the water temp's move them down the bay. Most think they will be here until early Oct.

Yes they hit throughout the water collum. Both shallow and deep trolling can be productive. Some people think they are attracted to the prop wash, so my lines are very close to the boat. My lines run 30, 50, 60, and 80 ft from the boat, with one longline (120 ft) from the top. I run #2 planners on the short lines and #1 planers on the longer lines. The top rod uses a 4 oz inline weight.

Don't make the mistake thinking they don't run with both rock AND blues. All three will be targeting the same baitfish. Normally, the spanish and blues will be the most aggressive and they will be feeding on the bait near the top, and rock will be underneath the action waiting for scraps (talking about breaking fish).

Maybe someone who targets them routinely can give you more useful information.

5th (Marty)

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 09-07-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:34 PM

Bleed them out before you throw them in the box
Old 09-08-2010, 12:57 PM

Marty, Thanks for the info. What type lures/ size are you using to troll? I take it you want to spike the SP like Tuna then Bleed them? Thanks again for the info!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:30 PM

Lures: Most people would agree that there are two main lures for spanish. Clark spoons and drone spoons are the goto lures. I have only purchased the drone spoons. They are rather expensive 6-8 dollars depending on size. I like the size O (zero) or 1 the best (when the spanish "spit up" the bait they are eating it's very small glass minnows or silversides).
These two lures (clark and drone) are made to be able to troll at high speeds (5.5-7mph). There are other lures that work as well, but these are the most popular.
If you are located anywhere near Marty's bait and tackle, near south river, stop in to see Jim (the owner). Jim will set you up with everything you need to look for spanish (we also catch rock and lots of blues on the spanish set up). It can be expensive to start up; but my buddy and I split the expense. He bought the planners (4) and I bought the lures (6). This way it cost each of us less to get in the game.
I probably wouldn't have gotten into the spanish, but so many of the rock we were catching were sick with sores. If I catch 8 rock and 6 are sick and thrown back, what makes me feel good about the other two that APPEAR to be ok? I'll wait for the schooling rock in Oct. to start eating rock again.
With upwards of 70% of the chesapeake rock infected, even these are suspect. But I digress:
Best of luck
5th (Marty)