Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 08-19-2015, 10:50 AM

Fun day Marty. Thanks for the invite. Please call me again as soon as you catch some more spot
Old 08-20-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlag View Post
Fun day Marty. Thanks for the invite. Please call me again as soon as you catch some more spot
I went down to the boat around noon and the wind and dark clouds were all around. I decided to see if I could find a few spot around the marina (you could in years past). I got my spot rod and began looking.

I know the rockfish will ignore perch if spot are around, but what about sunfish? Anybody ever try sunny's in place of spot

My poor spot pen is empty

5th
Old 08-20-2015, 08:14 PM

Two words for you Marty....... Cast net. I know I haven't been getting out or posting much but when I go I want to catch but usually have more fish in the didn't catch, didn't release category. But here lately with the absence of spot I have been catching peanut bunker at the end of our pier with a cast net. Catch enough for live chum, 2"-3" bunker the best for the live chum. Simply grab a bait net full and toss em over the transom and they will usually regroup and make a bait ball right behind the boat. Take the larger ones and put one on the circle hooks I gave you and let it swim back in free spool until it joins up with the ones you tossed over and hang on for the hit. Watch your live chum, they will start going crazy in every direction when the stripers appear. When this all comes together there is no better fishing, you get to watch how the bait reacts when fish show and usually get to see and feel the strike. Most important thing is to only take enough peanut bunker for your trip, the left overs will not survive in a spot pen. Make certain your live well has a high velocity quality pump and a ROUND live well. Bunker will not survive in a live well with squared corners, they need to swim into the current in circles to survive. Try it and I swear you will be hooked, no pun intended!!!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:44 PM

I have a 30 gallon round rubbermaid trash can with a Rule bilge pump that gets thrown overboard for bay water circulation. It goes into the can through the bilge hose near the bottom of the can. It has a good circular rotation

You need to show me what those three inch bunker look like; and how to throw a cast net
I watched some youtube video's but never threw one

What kind of numbers do you catch before heading out? 30, 40, 50, 75 (bunker)
5th
Old 08-21-2015, 05:10 AM

I'll be happy to show you as long as they are in the creek. Evenings have been the best especially over at the other marina. I have never seen so much bait in that basin at nite than what I've seen this year. Literally each cast can yield 100's of bunker and silver sides and bay anchovies. The stripers come in late in the evenings and actually has the bait spraying. Some mites this summer they have been so thick you can hear them hitting the boat when trying to sleep, it quite a site to see. Come on down with a cooler of your favorite beverage and let's catch bait. Biggest problem is you fish during the week and I work!