Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-16-2012, 07:27 PM

Default Fishing 5/16

So PhilK999 invited me out on his boat today. It was the first day we could keep fish under 28 inches. So what did we catch, a 36 inch fat fish that put a whoopin on Phil as he brought in the WWB. We also got a smaller 23-24 inch fish on one of Captain Johns Spoonbrella's.
I was interested to see how the "Wormbrella's" from Marty's Bait and tackle worked during this time of the year. I have to admit, they certainly do catch Phil has a new downrigger on the boat and the first wormbrella caught bottom in 27 ft of water. They second was rigged with a 28 oz inline and caught bottom shortly after the first.
Well; after some good natured ribbing, we caught two nice fish Ed (Phil's fishing buddy) was the proud owner of all the lost tackle

I always enjoy seeing how others rig their boats, see what they are pulling, and meet new friends. Phil and Ed are two of the nicest guys in Essex. Ok, so actually, they are the only two guys I know in Essex. Phil has some family medical issues and we needed to be back at the dock by 12 noon; so we pulled rods at 10:30 am and ran back to the slip (with a boat lift).
Man, those boat lifts are sweet. No bottom painting or worrying about tides and boat lines.

Anyway, Phil, If you cleaned that fish, was it full of mayworms? It sure was fat.

Thanks for the invite, now that I know we fish the same waters, I'll keep an eye out for you.
5th (Marty)
Old 05-17-2012, 05:40 PM

It was nice fishing with you yesterday and hoipe we can hook up again on your boat or mine.

Still need to preform the autopsy on the fish. I filleted it yesterday and froze the carcus since the trash isn't going out until next Tuesday. Might thaw it out over the weekend and see if it was eggs or mayworms making it look fat.

Suprised both fish were caught in the upper part of the water column, but that is why you cover it all until you find where the first are and adjust.

Ed, one of his relatives nad I hope to make it out Saturday if the weather cooperates for an all day trip, I'll let you know how I do.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:12 PM

The weather looks good for Saturday Phil...you should be good to go.

Congrats on a nice day....NORTH of the bridge!!